Wonderful World (2009 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joshua Goldin|
|Produced by||Miranda Bailey
|Written by||Joshua Goldin|
Michael K. Williams
|Music by||Craig Richey|
|Edited by||Jeff Canavan|
Wonderful World is a 2009 drama film directed and written by Joshua Goldin, who in this movie makes his directorial debut. The film stars Matthew Broderick, Sanaa Lathan, Michael K. Williams and Jodelle Ferland.
The film was produced by Ambush Entertainment, Back Lot Pictures and Cold Iron Pictures with K5 International handling the world sales. In the summer of 2009, the film was picked up by Magnolia Pictures for distribution in 2010. Filming took place in Shreveport, Louisiana.
Ben Singer (Matthew Broderick) is a former children's folk singer whose misanthropic worldview leads him to an isolated existence. When his Senegalese roommate Ibou (Michael K. Williams) falls into a diabetic coma and is taken to the hospital, his sister Khadi (Sanaa Lathan) arrives from Senegal to take care of him. After Khadi and Ben eventually fall in love, circumstances lead Ben to reconsider his way of thinking.
The film has received mixed or average reviews from critics. Based on 24 reviews, Rotten Tomatoes reported that 38% of critics gave positive reviews with an average rating of 5.2/10. Another review aggretator, Metacritic, gave the film an average rating of 47% based on 14 reviews.
- Matthew Broderick as Ben Singer
- Sanaa Lathan as Khadi
- Michael K. Williams as Ibou
- Jodelle Ferland as Sandra
- Philip Baker Hall as The Man
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Cyril
- Patrick Carney as Evan
- Ally Walker as Eliza
- David L. J. George as the Male Nurse
- "Wonderful World (2010): Reviews". Metacritic. CNET Networks. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- "Wonderful World Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- Edelstein, David. "David Edelstein on 'Fish Tank,' 'Youth in Revolt,' 'The Last Station,' and More – New York Magazine Movie Review". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2010-01-18.