Wood Dale, Illinois
|Official name: City of Wood Dale|
|Motto: Working Together to Make Life Better|
|Area||4.84 sq mi (13 km2)|
|- land||4.72 sq mi (12 km2)|
|- water||0.11 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Population||13,911 (2012 estimate)|
|Density||2,897.8 / sq mi (1,119 / km2)|
|Founded||1928 (became city in 1970)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Wood Dale was originally known as Lester's Station, after John Lester, an early settler.
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 4.84 square miles (12.5 km2), of which 4.72 square miles (12.2 km2) (or 97.52%) is land and 0.11 square miles (0.28 km2) (or 2.27%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,535 people, 5,117 households, and 3,663 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,897.8 people per square mile (1,119.0/km²). There were 5,220 housing units at an average density of 1,117.6 per square mile (431.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.22 percent White, 0.58 percent African American, 0.15 percent Native American, 3.24 percent Asian, 0.07 percent Pacific Islander, 4.80 percent from other races, and 1.94 percent from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.06 percent of the population.
There were 5,117 households out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.9% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.4% were non-families. 23.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.15.
The city's population was spread out with 22.4 percent under the age of 18, 7.6 percent from 18 to 24, 29.4 percent from 25 to 44, 26.5 percent from 45 to 64, and 14.1 percent who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 97.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $57,509, and the median income for a family was $62,289. Males had a median income of $45,884 versus $35,247 for females. The per capita income for the city was $25,507. About 2.9% of families and 4.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.9% of those under age 18 and 3.2% of those age 65 or over.
According to Wood Dale's 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|1||HSBC Bank USA||1,674|
|6||Tempco Electric Heater||364|
|7||Michael Lewis Company||201|
- "2012 Population Estimates". Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Several Towns Named After Founders and Heroes". The Daily Herald. December 28, 1999. p. 220. Retrieved August 17, 2014 – via Newspapers.com.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City of Wood Dale CAFR
- Mann, Leslie. "Hot Stuff." Chicago Tribune. December 14, 1997. Retrieved on December 24, 2011.