Woodbury County, Iowa
|Woodbury County, Iowa|
Woodbury County Courthouse
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Levi Woodbury|
|Largest city||Sioux City|
|• Total||877.39 sq mi (2,272 km2)|
|• Land||872.59 sq mi (2,260 km2)|
|• Water||4.79 sq mi (12 km2), 0.55%|
|• Density||117/sq mi (45/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Originally established in 1851 as Wahkaw County, the Iowa Legislature in 1853 changed the name to Woodbury County in honor of Levi Woodbury (1789–1851), a senator and Governor of New Hampshire who served as a Supreme Court justice from 1844 until his death.
The first county seat of Wahkaw County was the now-extinct village of Thompsonville; when the Legislature changed the county name to Woodbury, the new county seat became Sergeant's Bluff (now Sergeant Bluff). The county seat was moved to Sioux City in 1856.
The Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska (Ho-Chunk) also owns reservation land in Woodbury County.
According to the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 877.77 square miles (2,273.4 km2), of which 872.83 square miles (2,260.6 km2) (or 99.43%) is land and 4.94 square miles (12.8 km2) (or 0.56%) is water.
- Plymouth County (north)
- Cherokee County (northeast)
- Ida County (east)
- Monona County (south)
- Thurston County, Nebraska (southwest)
- Dakota County, Nebraska (west)
- Union County, South Dakota (northwest)
The 2010 census recorded a population of 102,172 in the county, with a population density of 117.062/sq mi (45.1980/km2). There were 41,454 housing units, of which 39,052 were occupied.
As of the census of 2000, there were 103,877 people, 39,151 households, and 26,426 families residing in the county. The population density was 119 people per square mile (46/km²). There were 41,394 housing units at an average density of 47 per square mile (18/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 87.48% White, 2.02% Black or African American, 1.69% Native American, 2.41% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 4.37% from other races, and 1.99% from two or more races. 9.11% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 39,151 households out of which 34.00% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.90% were married couples living together, 11.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.50% were non-families. 26.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.30% under the age of 18, 10.20% from 18 to 24, 28.30% from 25 to 44, 20.80% from 45 to 64, and 13.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 96.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $38,509, and the median income for a family was $46,499. Males had a median income of $31,664 versus $22,599 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,771. About 7.20% of families and 10.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.60% of those under age 18 and 7.40% of those age 65 or over.
- "Population & Housing Occupancy Status 2010". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- United States Office of Management and Budget. "Update of Statistical Area Definitions and Guidance on Their Uses" (PDF). pp. 5, 36. Archived from the original on 2006-05-14. Retrieved 2006-07-21.
- "Census 2010 Summary File 1, Geographic Header Record G001". United States Census. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lensch, R.A. (2006). Soil survey of Woodbury County, Iowa. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Woodbury County, Iowa.|
||Union County, South Dakota||Plymouth County||Cherokee County|
|Dakota County, Nebraska||Ida County|
|Thurston County, Nebraska||Monona County|