Boyhood rock and grave of John Burroughs
|Location||Burroughs Road, Roxbury, NY|
|Architectural style||No Style Listed|
|NRHP Reference #||66000512|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
|Designated NHL||December 29, 1962|
Woodchuck Lodge, also known as John Burroughs Memorial State Historic Site is in Roxbury in the western Catskills of Delaware County, New York, was a summertime home of naturalist John Burroughs. He is buried here, at the foot of a rock on which he played as a child. From the gravesite one has a panoramic view of mountains.
"In 1913, Henry Ford purchased the Roxbury farm as a present for John Burroughs, who had built a cabin, "Woodchuck Lodge." John's nephew, John C, the son of Curtis Burroughs, ran the farm from the main house."
- List of National Historic Landmarks in New York
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Delaware County, New York
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Woodchuck Lodge". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. 2007-09-23.
- John Burroughs -- Naturalist of West Park
- Constance M. Greiff (July 26, 1985). PDF (1.02 MiB). National Park Service. and PDF (1.74 MiB)
- John Burroughs Memorial State Historic Site, at NYSOPRHP
- Woodchuck Lodge, at...
- Woodchuck Lodge, includes photo
|This article , about a historic property or district in Delaware County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|