Woodford tube station
Location of Woodford in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Redbridge|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||3|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|18 April 1966||Goods yard closed|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portalCoordinates:|
The station was originally opened on 22 August 1856 as part of the Eastern Counties Railway branch to Loughton. Further alterations were carried out by the successor company, the Great Eastern Railway, including services to Ilford via the Fairlop Loop opened in 1903. After 1923 the station came under the control of the London & North Eastern Railway until transfer to the London Passenger Transport Board (LT) on 14 December 1947 as part of the extension of the Central Line services of the London Underground. The station acted as a terminus for the Central Line, with passengers transferring to a steam shuttle onwards towards Epping, until electric services commenced as far as Loughton (and around the 'loop' to Hainault) on 21 November 1948.
As part of the electrification carried out for the transfer to LT the original level crossing at the station, where Snakes Lane crossed the line, was closed and a bridge, to the south, was constructed. The original goods yard, which was closed in the late 1960s, now forms the car park.
The Station today
The main western entrance is located off The Broadway with access to the station car park. The eastern entrance is located on Snakes Lane East. This entrance is closed in the late evening and the ticket office is no longer in use.
London Bus routes 275 (Daily) and 549 (Mon-Sat).
|275||Walthamstow St James Street Station to Barkingside Tesco||Highams Park, Woodford Green, Woodford Bridge||Stagecoach London||Daily. London Buses service. Times|
|549||South Woodford Station to Loughton Station||Woodford , Buckhurst Hill||Docklands Buses||Mon-Sat except evenings. London Buses service. Times|
- "Step free Tube Guide" (pdf). Transport for London. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2007". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2008". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2009". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2010". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be - freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News (London Underground Railway Society) (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Woodford tube station.|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
|This article about the London Underground is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|