Woodlawn (LYNX station)
|LYNX light rail station|
|Address||4756 Old Pineville Road
Charlotte, NC 28219
|Connections||CATS Route #24, Nations Ford Road|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Bicycle facilities||Racks and Lockers available|
|Opened||24 November 2007|
|Owned by||Charlotte Area Transit System|
The Woodlawn station is a light rail station on the LYNX Blue Line in Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.A.. The station officially opened for service on Saturday, November 24, 2007, and as part of its opening celebration fares were not collected. Regular service with fare collection commenced on Monday, November 26, 2007.
The station is located just off Woodlawn Road along Old Pineville Road. It has side platforms, which sit on either side of the tracks. Additionally, this station includes 386 commuter parking spaces. The Woodlawn viaduct spans a distance of 0.25 miles (400 m), crossing 40 feet (12 m) above Woodlawn Road, and was installed in the period between May 10 through May 30, 2006.
As part of the CATS Art in Transit program, Woodlawn features several pieces intended to provide a better overall aesthetic for the station. The works include bas-reliefs entitled Hornbeam by Alice Adams, drinking fountain basins designed to look like dogwoods, the North Carolina state flower, by Nancy Blum, leaf motifs on both the pavers and shelters by Leticia Huerta, the painting of the bridge and retaining walls by Marek Ranis and track fencing featuring white oak leaves by Shaun Cassidy.
- Harrison, Steve; Kristen Valle (November 25, 2007). "Light rail, heavy traffic - Thousands wait in lines for a free ride on 1st day". The Charlotte Observer. p. 1A.
- "Layout Plan: Woodlawn Road Station" (PDF). Charlotte Area Transit System. 2004-10-04. Retrieved 2008-04-09.[dead link]
- Lyttle, Steve (November 8, 2006). "CATS officials offer look at light-rail bridge". The Charlotte Observer. pp. 3M.
- Whitacre, Dianne (2006-01-03). "Light-rail reaches key stage, installation of bridge girders to start this week". The Charlotte Observer. pp. 1B.
- "Woodlawn Station: Art in Transit". Charlotte Area Transit System. Archived from the original on 2008-02-21. Retrieved 2008-06-21.