Woodlawn, August 2003
|Location||West of junction of U.S. 1 and Rte. 235, Alexandria, Virginia|
|Architect||Dr. William Thornton|
|NRHP Reference #||70000792, 11000836 (Boundary Increase)|
|Added to NRHP||February 26, 1970, November 18, 2011 (Boundary Increase)|
|Designated NHL||August 6, 1998|
|Designated VLR||December 2, 1969, September 22, 2011|
Eleanor "Nelly" Parke Custis was Martha Washington's granddaughter and had been raised on the Mount Vernon estate as a part of the First Family. In 1799, George Washington gave Custis and his nephew Major Lawrence Lewis 2,000 acres (810 ha) of land as a wedding present. The President asked the distinguished architect Dr. William Thornton, architect of the U.S. Capitol, to design a home for the young newlywed couple.
Construction of the Woodlawn house began in 1800 and was finished in 1805. The main Woodlawn house is located on a hill, overlooking Mount Vernon, and the Mount Vernon home is visible from the Woodlawn house. Today, 126 acres containing the original house and surrounding gardens are all that remain of the original plantation. The remainder of the property was sold for development over the years. The Woodlawn Plantation is owned and operated as a museum by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, part of the National Trust Community Investment Corporation.
The address is 9000 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, Virginia.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Woodlawn". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-06-27.
- "Woodlawn information page". National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- Craig Tuminaro and Carolyn Pitts (March 4, 1998). PDF (32 KB). National Park Service and PDF (32 KB)
- Woodlawn, 9000 Richmond Highway, Mount Vernon, Fairfax County, VA: 22 photos, 2 color transparencies, 13 measured drawings, 5 data pages, and 3 photo caption pages at Historic American Buildings Survey
- Woodlawn, Dairy, 9000 Richmond Highway, Mount Vernon, Fairfax County, VA: 1 photo and 1 photo caption page at Historic American Buildings Survey
- Woodlawn, Smokehouse, 9000 Richmond Highway, Mount Vernon, Fairfax County, VA: 1 photo at Historic American Buildings Survey