Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light|
|Studio album by Woods of Ypres|
|Released||February 13, 2012 (UK)
February 27, 2012 (Europe)
April 16, 2012 (USA)
|Recorded||August 2011 at Beach Road Studios in Goderich, Ontario|
|Genre||Doom metal, gothic metal|
|Woods of Ypres chronology|
|Metal Hammer Germany|||
Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light is the fourth studio album as well as the fifth and final studio release from Woods of Ypres. It was recorded in August 2011 at Beach Road Studios with Siegfried Meier in Goderich, Ontario, and released the following year through Earache Records. Originally slated for a January 30 release date, the final version of the album was released in the UK on February 13 and in the US in April 2012. Though not the band's first release on the label, Woods V marked the band's first (and to date, only) album to be initially put out under the Earache Records umbrella.
Woods V is the band's only studio album (and second release overall) to feature guitarist Joel Violette, and the first Woods of Ypres album since Woods III to feature David Gold on studio drums. It also marked the band's final studio collaboration with cellist Raphael Weinroth-Browne and oboist Angela Schielhauf, who had both guested on Woods IV: The Green Album.
A link to an incomplete promotional version of the album was tweeted by Earache Records shortly after David Gold's death on December 22, 2011. This version of the album excluded "Keeper of the Ledger," split "Kiss My Ashes (Goodbye)" into two separate tracks, and had a different track order from the final release. The limited edition vinyl pressing of Woods V includes an exclusive producer's mix of "Finality" on the second disc, which is unavailable officially in other formats.
On February 19, 2013 it was announced that Woods 5 had been nominated for a Juno Award for "Metal/Hard Music Album Of The Year", along with the likes of Devin Townsend, Cancer Bats and Ex Deo, an award that it went on to win.
|1.||"Lightning & Snow"||04:41|
|2.||"Death Is Not An Exit"||05:10|
|3.||"Keeper Of The Ledger"||06:05|
|7.||"Career Suicide (Is Not Real Suicide)"||03:44|
|8.||"Modern Life Architecture"||07:21|
|9.||"Kiss My Ashes (Goodbye)"||10:53|
- David Gold - vocals, guitars, drums
- Joel Violette - lead guitars, bass, piano
- Raphael Weinroth-Browne - session cello
- Angela Schielhauf - session oboe
- Lyons, Todd. "Woods Of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light Review". About.com. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Laura Wiebe. "Woods Of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Lights • Metal Reviews • exclaim.ca". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light Metal Hammer.de. Retrieved October 28, 2012
- "Woods of Ypres WOODS 5 is coming on CD and vinyl Feb 13th.". Woods of Ypres WOODS 5 is coming on CD and vinyl Feb 13th. Earache Records. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- CANCER BATS, DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT, CASTLE, EX DEO Among JUNO AWARD Nominees Blabbermouth.net