Monroe County Courthouse
Location of Woodsfield, Ohio
|• Mayor||William Bolon|
|• Total||2.02 sq mi (5.23 km2)|
|• Land||2.02 sq mi (5.23 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,204 ft (367 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,366|
|• Density||1,180.2/sq mi (455.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1077231|
Woodsfield is located at .
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,384 people, 1,054 households, and 617 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,180.2 inhabitants per square mile (455.7 /km2). There were 1,248 housing units at an average density of 617.8 per square mile (238.5 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 97.3% White, 0.7% African American, 0.2% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.0% of the population.
There were 1,054 households of which 25.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.2% were married couples living together, 13.7% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 41.5% were non-families. 37.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.81.
The median age in the village was 45.9 years. 21.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.2% were from 25 to 44; 24.9% were from 45 to 64; and 26.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 45.5% male and 54.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,598 people, 1,127 households, and 726 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,271.4 people per square mile (491.7/km2). There were 1,268 housing units at an average density of 620.5 per square mile (240.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 98.81% White, 0.04% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.27% from other races, and 0.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.58% of the population.
There were 1,127 households out of which 25.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.5% were married couples living together, 11.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.5% were non-families. 32.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.23 and the average family size was 2.81.
In the village the population was spread out with 20.7% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 23.9% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 22.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 81.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $24,682, and the median income for a family was $33,500. Males had a median income of $35,964 versus $18,036 for females. The per capita income for the village was $13,816. About 12.4% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.5% of those under age 18 and 14.9% of those age 65 or over.
Recent economic trouble
An Ormet Corporation employee strike affected Woodsfield's economic base in 2004, but once the strike ended, things began to improve. When the plant in nearby Hannibal was closed in 2006, another blow was dealt to local employees and economy. That facility reopened by the end of 2006, although it no longer employs as large a staff as when it closed.
The schools in Woodsfield are part of the Switzerland of Ohio Local School District. The schools are:
- Woodsfield Elementary School - kindergarten through 8th grade
- Monroe Central High School - 9th through 12th (created by the merger of Skyvue High School and Woodsfield High School)
- Swiss Hills Career Center - vocational school, 11th and 12th graders
There is also a private Catholic grade school in Woodsfield.
- St. Sylvester's Central Elementary School - Preschool - 8th grade
Woodsfield is home to the Monroe County District Library.
- Sad Sam Jones, American League pitcher
- Samuel Steward, author
- Mary Weddle, All-American Girls Professional Baseball League player
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-06.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Woodsfield village, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Diller, Joseph Silas (1902). Topographic Development of the Klamath Mountains. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 277.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). "Historical Gazetteer of the United States". Routledge. p. 877. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Ornet Layoffs & Strike". Associated Press. Retrieved 2007-12-17.