Woodson County, Kansas
|Woodson County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Largest city||Yates Center|
|• Total||505.45 sq mi (1,309 km2)|
|• Land||500.61 sq mi (1,297 km2)|
|• Water||4.85 sq mi (13 km2), 0.96%|
|• Density||7.1/sq mi (2.8/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 505.45 square miles (1,309.1 km2), of which 500.61 square miles (1,296.6 km2) (or 99.04%) is land and 4.85 square miles (12.6 km2) (or 0.96%) is water.
- Coffey County (north)
- Anderson County (northeast)
- Allen County (east)
- Neosho County (southeast)
- Wilson County (south)
- Greenwood County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,788 people, 1,642 households, and 1,052 families residing in the county. The population density was 8 people per square mile (3/km²). There were 2,076 housing units at an average density of 4 per square mile (2/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 96.96% White, 0.82% Black or African American, 0.87% Native American, 0.05% Asian, 0.24% from other races, and 1.06% from two or more races. 1.37% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,642 households out of which 25.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.80% were married couples living together, 7.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.90% were non-families. 33.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the county the population was spread out with 21.70% under the age of 18, 7.40% from 18 to 24, 22.10% from 25 to 44, 23.90% from 45 to 64, and 24.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 96.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $25,335, and the median income for a family was $31,369. Males had a median income of $23,950 versus $16,135 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,283. About 10.20% of families and 13.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.20% of those under age 18 and 13.20% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
Name and population (2004 estimate):
Woodson County is divided into six townships. The city of Yates Center is considered governmentally independent and is excluded from the census figures for the townships. In the following table, the population center is the largest city (or cities) included in that township's population total, if it is of a significant size.
/km² (/sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Center||12250||594||1 (4)||410 (158)||1 (0)||0.23%|
|Liberty||40375||200||1 (2)||223 (86)||1 (0)||0.26%|
|Neosho Falls||49850||537||3 (7)||196 (76)||1 (0)||0.38%|
|North||51025||71||0 (1)||167 (64)||0 (0)||0.11%|
|Perry||55475||103||1 (2)||127 (49)||0 (0)||0.08%|
|Toronto||71075||684||4 (11)||167 (64)||10 (4)||5.40%|
Unified school districts
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- "2010 County Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved April 9, 2011.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- U.S. County 2012 Estimated Census; census.gov
- U.S. Decennial Census; census.gov
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Woodson County, Kansas.|
- Woodson County Map, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Map, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Map, KDOT
- Kansas School District Boundary Map, KSDE
||Coffey County||Anderson County|
|Greenwood County||Allen County|
|Wilson County||Neosho County|