Wor–Wic Community College
|Wor-Wic Community College|
|Motto||Training Local People for Local Jobs|
|President||Dr. Murray K. Hoy|
Dr. Stephen L. Capelli - Academic
|Students||10,982 (credit & non-credit)|
|Location||Salisbury, Maryland, USA|
|Campus||Suburban, 200 acres (0.81 km2)|
|Colors||Teal & White|
|Affiliations||Middle States Commission on Higher Education|
Salisbury, MD 21804
Wor–Wic Community College is a 2-year institution located in Salisbury in the Eastern Shore region of Maryland, offering both credit and continuing education classes. The college's name is a portmanteau of Maryland's Worcester and Wicomico counties. It was founded in 1975, and operated as a "college without walls" in the two counties for 20 years before settling in Salisbury. In 1989, state legislation was enacted to allow Somerset County residents to attend Wor-Wic at the in-county tuition rate.
In the Fall 2011 semester there were 4,063 students enrolled in credit courses and 2,382 students enrolled in non-credit courses. 92% of credit students came from the tri-county area.
Wor-Wic is popular with students who plan on transferring to Salisbury University because of its proximity, inexpensive tuition, and the similarity of its general education courses to those of Salisbury University.
Wor-Wic ceased offering a General Equivalency Diploma program in 2011, due to budget constraints.
Academic degree & continuing education programs
Wor-Wic is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Its nursing programs are approved by the Maryland Board of Nursing. The radiologic technology program is nationall accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology.
- Chemical Dependency Counseling
- Computer Studies
- Construction Engineering Technology
- Criminal Justice
- Emergency Medical Services
- Environmental Science
- General Studies
- Hotel-Motel-Restaurant Management
- Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- Office Technology
- Radiologic Technology
- Turf Management
- Business & Supervision
- Career & Personal Enrichment
- Child Care
- Courses for Senior Adults
- Customized Training
- Floristry & Landscaping
- Health & Safety
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Industry, Trades & Manufacturing
- Real Estate
- Summer Scholars (Gifted & Talented Students Grades 3-9)
- Transportation (Boating, CDL, Motorcycle)
- Veterinary Assistant Training
Wor-Wic leases or owns various facilities which provide office, classroom, and laboratory space.
- Ocean Resorts Golf Club - Turf Management and Hospitality courses
- McCready Memorial Hospital - Emergency Medical Technician laboratory
- Parkside High School - Manufacturing Technology laboratory
As of the Fall 2011 semester, the tuition cost is $95.75 per credit hour for residents of Wicomico and $90.75 for residents of Worcester and Somerset counties, $203 per credit hour for other Maryland residents, and $250 per credit hour for out-of-state students.
The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) oversees and coordinates higher education in the State of Maryland including academic and financial policies at the College. A seven member Board of Trustees, appointed by the Governor of the State of Maryland, governs the College. The College also has Local Sponsors, which include the Worcester County Council, the Wicomico County Council, and the Wicomico County Executive. Wor-Wic also has numerous Advisory Boards and Committees.
The college is a member of the Maryland Association of Community Colleges (MACC).
- Matthew A. Maciarello - State's Attorney for Wicomico County 
- Maryland Association of Community Colleges Wor-Wic Community College At a Glance
- Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore 2010 Lower Shore Volunteer Fair - Photo of Wor-Wic's Mascot
- Wor-Wic History
- "Wor-Wic Facts & Figures 2011" (PDF). 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- WBOC New Hope for G.E.D. Students in Wicomico County
- "Accreditation". Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- WBOC Interest in Truck Driving Careers Growing
- Wor-Wic Community College Campus Map
- WBOC Community College Given Eastern Shore Golf Course
- Wor-Wic Community College Ocean Resorts Golf Club Grand Opening
- Wor-Wic Community College Financial Information
- Wor-Wic Community College Trustees and Sponsors
- Wor-Wic Community College Advisory Boards
- Maryland State Archives Matthew A. Maciarello