||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (May 2011)|
|Founded||Nairobi, Kenya (2001)|
|Headquarters||Nairobi, Kenya Kampala, Uganda|
|Key people||David Waweru|
|Products||Personal Growth, Inspirational, Leadership, Relationships, Fiction, Theology and Children's Books|
WordAlive Publishers provides transformational content by publishing, marketing and distributing Christian books in sub-Saharan Africa and beyond. WordAlive Publishers is a Pan-African publishing house based in Nairobi, Kenya and has offices in Kampala, Uganda. The company’s main focus is on personal growth, inspirational, leadership, relationships, fiction, theology, and children’s books. WordAlive's catalogue contains over 70 titles from both local and international authors. In 2009, Eyo, the first general fiction title in their catalogue was published.
WordAlive Publishers was founded in September 2001 by David Waweru, whose publishing career had begun at the University of Nairobi Press ten years earlier. At the time, most publishing houses in Kenya focused on textbook publishing with a few others engaged in religious publishing and none publishing general trade books as a core business. Many cited perceived poor reading habits in Kenya, and poverty as reasons why they did not think that these areas were viable propositions. WordAlive now accounts for 35% of their sales from “upcountry” – outside Kenyan's major towns – areas that are considered "poor” by Kenyan standards.
WordAlive is the African publisher of the Africa Bible Commentary, a 1,586-page once volume commentary released in 2006 and written by 69 African scholars. The commentary uses African proverbs, metaphors and every day stories to make the Bible speak relevantly to African believers while remaining true to the Bible text and being honest to its context.
In 2008 WordAlive Publishers, together with Africa Christian Text Books, based in Jos, Nigeria and Zondervan in the USA created an imprint called Hippo Books. Currently, Hippo Books has produced four titles and more are in the pipeline. "The imprint is comprised of a broad range of serious Christian and Theological publications written especially for Pastors, church leaders, and academics (Theological Students, Teachers, and Scholars). Titles in this imprint include Bible commentaries and new works in biblical studies, cultural studies, ethics, history, systematic theology, and more."
Notable works and authors published by Word Alive Publishers include:
- Eyo, Abidemi Sanusi (2009) View Eyo
- Africa Bible Commentary, Tokunboh Adeyemo (2006) View Africa Bible Commentary
- Africa's Enigma and Leadership Solutions, Tokunboh Adeyemo (2009) View Africa Enigma and Leadership Solutions
- Best Foot Forward, Fred Geke (2007) view Best Foot Forward
- How to Save Money, Ken Monyoncho (2007) view How to Save Money
- Bishop Tucker, Christopher Byaruhanga (2008) view Bishop Tucker
- African Christian Ethics, Samuel Waje Kunhiyop (2008) view African Christian Ethics
- Is Africa Cursed, Tokunboh Adeyemo (2009) view Is Africa Cursed
- "WordAlive website-"About Us"". WordAlive Publishers. 2008. Retrieved 2008.
- Lati, Abyssinia (2009-12-17). "Publisher keeps the written word alive". Business Daily. Retrieved 2009-12-17.
- Ngunjiri, Joseph (2008-12-13). "Publisher proves critics wrong". Daily Nation. Retrieved 2008-12-13.
- , Zondervan, 2010 http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Use/Lead/HippoBooks+Imprint.htm?QueryStringSite=Zondervan Missing or empty