|Stable release||7.1  / September 23, 2014|
|Written in||Object Pascal (Delphi)|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8|
|License||Free subject to license|
|Website||WordWeb web site|
WordWeb is an international English dictionary and thesaurus program for Microsoft Windows, iOS, Android and Mac OS X. Available for download online, the program is partly based on the WordNet database.
The program is activated by holding down CTRL and right-clicking on a word in almost any program. This opens the WordWeb main window, with definitions and other help.
The program usually resides in the tray.
- Phrase guessing – for example, CTRL + right-clicking on the 'Princeton' in 'Princeton University' will show the meaning of the combined entity rather than only 'Princeton'.
- Words from pictures – CTRL + right-clicking on a word within an image (for example, the 'Free' in the Wikipedia logo) will ask WordWeb to guess the word.
The thesaurus is integrated into the dictionary; synonyms, as well as detailed categorization of the relationship between words, are shown under the definition. The program shows:
- type of ('daisy' is listed as a type of 'flower')
- types ('play' lists several sub-types of play, including 'passion play')
- parts (under 'forest', listed parts include 'tree' and 'underbrush')
- part of ('bumper' is a part of a 'car', 'truck', or 'machine')
- similar (words that are not synonyms, but nearby; 'big' is listed as similar to 'huge')
Users can also actively improve the dictionary and thesaurus by submitting errors (such as missing words/phrases/senses) and enhancement requests.
The program has two versions: the free version (which does not have the word list, search, anagram, or customization features), and the paid version, called 'WordWeb Pro'.
WordWeb 5 added the ability to list entries from three web sources: Wikipedia, Wiktionary, and WordWeb Online. These details are presented in three separate tabs, which are built into the client application. Version 6 added audio pronunciations and support for third-party Oxford and Chambers add-on dictionaries.
WordWeb 7 is mainly a content upgrade, with revised definition and sound database, but also has significantly updated one-click support for latest browsers and 64-bit programs. Changes in this version include: 1) New and revised definitions and related words 2) Updated audio pronunciations 3) Improved one-click integration with other programs 4) Better one-click 64-bit and Windows 8 program support 5) Keyboard hotkeys for Bookmark menu items 6) Auto-detect support for latest 3-rd party Concise Oxford and Merriam-Webster
WordWeb 7 requires Windows Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 (desktop). Latest version is WordWeb 7.05
No version of WordWeb (including Pro) is available for Unix, however, it can be used with Wine. A similar program which includes WordWeb Pro's features, Artha is available for both Linux and Windows; a port to Macintosh is promised.
Use of the free version is subject to license terms. However, it might be used by an educational institution (free of cost) for their students, even if they violate said terms.
- "WordWeb: Free English dictionary and thesaurus download". Retrieved 2014-09-23.(September 2014)
- "Artha Homepage on Sourceforge". Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- "WordWeb Free Version License". Retrieved 2008-05-13.