Work hard, play hard
Work hard, play hard is an English phrase with several uses.
Some individuals and organizations use "Work hard, play hard" as a motto, either officially or unofficially. For example, "Work hard play hard" (Laboris gloria Ludi in Latin) is the official motto of the Camborne School of Mines.
The phrase is also a variation on similar mottoes which promote the virtues of hard work (or a work ethic) by adding a counterbalancing focus on play. This work-play balance is similar to the concept of work-life balance.
Type of corporate culture
- "Fun and action are the rule here, and employees take few risks, all with quick feedback; to succeed, the culture encourages them to maintain a high level of relatively low-risk activity." (page 108)
References in popular culture
- "Work Hard Play Hard" has been used as the name of a song or musical track on numerous occasions, most notably as the title of a track produced by DJ Tiësto.
- "Work Hard, Play Hard" was the title of a 2003 film.
- Movies and TV Shows with "work hard, play hard" in the script include Barton Fink, Rogue Trader, Johnny English: Reborn and United States of Tara.
- "Work Hard, Play Hard" is the title of a recently released single by rapper Wiz Khalifa.
- "Work Hard, Play Harder" is a song co-written and recorded by American country artist Gretchen Wilson.
- Continental Airlines trademarked and used "Work hard. Fly right." as an advertising slogan.
- The book Soldiers and Sailors, by George Mogridge (Old Humphrey), contains the following variation:
- "True. They work hard, play hard, and fight hard; but, say what you will, it is not all sunshine with soldiers and sailors."
- In 1884, Racine College advertised itself as:
- A School whose aim is to carry into practice the words of its first great Warden, James deKoven: "Work hard, Play hard, Pray hard."
- Schluckebier, Col. Tom (2007-02-23). "Time to reconsider 'work hard, play hard' motto". Official Website of the U.S. Air Force. Archived from the original on 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Deal, Terrence E.; Kennedy, Allan A. (21 January 1984). Corporate Cultures. Basic Books. ISBN 0-201-10287-0.
- "Work Hard, Play Hard (2003)". IMDB. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Mogridge, George (1842). Soldiers and Sailors : or, Anecdotes, details, and recollections of naval and military life. J. Harris. p. 5. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Ad for Racine College". Nashotah Scholiast II (1-10): 178. Retrieved 2011-06-30.