Work hard, play hard
Work hard, play hard is an English phrase with several uses.
Some individuals and organizations use "Work hard, play hard" as a motto, either officially or unofficially. For example, "Work hard play hard" (Laboris gloria Ludi in Latin) is the official motto of the Camborne School of Mines. It is also the official motto of Ayedaade Grammar School Ikire Osun State Nigeria.
It's a variation on similar mottoes which promote the virtues of hard work (or a work ethic) by adding a counterbalancing focus on play. This work-play balance is similar to the concept of work-life balance.
Type of corporate culture
- "Fun and action are the rule here, and employees take few risks, all with quick feedback; to succeed, the culture encourages them to maintain a high level of relatively low-risk activity." (page 108)
References in popular culture
- "Work Hard Play Hard" has been used as the name of a song or musical track on numerous occasions, most notably as the title of a track produced by DJ Tiësto.
- "Work Hard, Play Hard" was the title of a 2003 film.
- Movies and TV Shows with "work hard, play hard" in the script include Barton Fink, Rogue Trader, and United States of Tara.
- "Work Hard, Play Hard" is the title of a recently released single by rapper Wiz Khalifa.
- "Work Hard, Play Harder" is a song co-written and recorded by American country artist Gretchen Wilson.
- Continental Airlines trademarked and used "Work hard. Fly right." as an advertising slogan.
- The book Soldiers and Sailors, by George Mogridge (Old Humphrey), contains the following variation:
- "True. They work hard, play hard, and fight hard; but, say what you will, it is not all sunshine with soldiers and sailors."
- In 1884, Racine College advertised itself as:
- A School whose aim is to carry into practice the words of its first great Warden, James deKoven: "Work hard, Play hard, Pray hard."
- Schluckebier, Col. Tom (2007-02-23). "Time to reconsider 'work hard, play hard' motto". Official Website of the U.S. Air Force. Archived from the original on 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Deal, Terrence E.; Kennedy, Allan A. (21 January 1984). Corporate Cultures. Basic Books. ISBN 0-201-10287-0.
- "Work Hard, Play Hard (2003)". IMDB. Retrieved 2011-06-30.
- Mogridge, George (1842). Soldiers and Sailors : or, Anecdotes, details, and recollections of naval and military life. J. Harris. p. 5. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "Ad for Racine College". Nashotah Scholiast II (1-10): 178. Retrieved 2011-06-30.