World's busiest port
The world's busiest ports are commonly ranked by cargo tonnage and by volume of container shipment measured in TEUs. Since the 2000s, the Port of Shanghai has surpassed the Port of Singapore and the Port of Hong Kong to become the world's busiest port by both measures. However, Port of Ningbo-Zhoushan surpassed Shanghai as World's busiest port by cargo tonnage in 2010.
Busiest cargo ports
- Port of Shanghai, China
- Port of Singapore, Singapore
- Port of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administration Region, China
- Port of Rotterdam, Netherlands
Busiest passenger ports
A study led by Bernd Blasius of the University of Oldenburg analyzed itineraries from 16,693 cargo ships for the entire year of 2009. They conducted their investigation using data from the Automatic Identification System and Lloyd's Register Fairplay by means of VHF receivers and GPS.
- "World Port Rankings 2005". American Association of Port Authorities. 2005. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "World Port Rankings 2006". American Association of Port Authorities. 2006. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "Shanghai Surpasses Singapore as World's Busiest Port as Trade Volumes Jump". Bloomberg. January 7, 2011. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- "Port of Ningbo-Zhoushan is now the busiest in the world (Chinese)". Mingpao. Retrieved January 12, 2011.
- "TOP 50 WORLD CONTAINER PORTS". World Shipping Council. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- "Channel NewsAsia - Singapore retains ranking as busiest port in 2006". channelnewsasia.com. 2007-01-10. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- http://feel-kobe.jp/monogatari/pdf/50.pdf[dead link]
- "A Dover Study - Dover Town Council". Dovertown.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "index". Podpolice.freeuk.com. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "PortMiami remains World's Busiest Cruise Port with more than 4 million passengers last year". Government of Miami-Dade. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- Tia Ghose (2010-01-25). "A Year of Global Shipping Routes Mapped by GPS | Wired Science". Wired.com. Retrieved 2010-07-10.