World Accord is an international charity based in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. It was formed in 1980 as the Canadian arm of Outreach International, a charity loosely affiliated with Community of Christ. Officially named World Accord - International Development Agency, the organization diverged from its Outreach International roots to chart an independent course that reflected the differing interests of its Canadian supporters, the unique funding opportunities presented by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), and a development philosophy shaped by long term program partners in Central America and Asia.
From the World Accord website:
- "World Accord connects people in Canada with people in the developing world.
- "Through World Accord, Canadians ... are connected to grassroots community organizations in the developing world that can take modest amounts of money and amplify it through their hard work, their ingenuity, their dignity and their cooperation to make lasting, transforming changes in the quality of their lives."
World Accord has long-standing programs in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nepal, and India. New or re-established projects are in Malawi, Uganda, and Sri Lanka. Other long-standing programs have been in Pakistan and the Philippines.
The Community of Christ's World Hunger Fund, individual Community of Christ members, and CIDA each contribute about a third of the organization's funding. World Accord also receives smaller amounts of funding from a variety of other sources, such as the Wild Rose Foundation of Alberta.
- Community of Christ, known until 2001 as the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (RLDS)
- Outreach International, a US-based charitable organization also supported by the Community of Christ
- Canadian International Development Agency
|This article about an organization in Canada is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the Latter Day Saint movement is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|