World Classical Tamil Conference 2010
|World Classical Tamil Conference 2010|
|Date||23 June 2010–27 June 2010|
|Venue(s)||CODISSIA Trade Fair Complex|
The World Classical Tamil Conference 2010 (Tamil: உலகத் தமிழ்ச் செம்மொழி மாநாடு) was an international meet by Tamil Scholars, Poets, Political leaders and Celebrities from all around the world. It was held in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu between 23 June and 27 June 2010.
Coimbatore, a city located in the western region of Tamil Nadu state was chosen for the meet. CODISIA has been selected and announced as the venue of the world classical Tamil conference. Tamil Internet Conference was also organized along the Tamil conference. The chairman of the conference is Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M.Karunanidhi.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2012)|
More than 400 journalists from India and other countries took part in the conference. A 12,000 sq ft (1,100 m2). media centre is to be established at a cost of Rs.71.25 lakh. It will have telephone and fax connections, 75 Internet-connected computers, televisions and closed-circuit cameras. A special place is being designated for parking outdoor broadcast vans of television channels. A marathon is planned from various places to Coimbatore, and a short marathon in other places all over the State. Students are expected to participate in these.
To spread awareness, all new buses and government advertisements are to sport the conference logo.
The conference was inaugurated by the president of India, Pratibha Patil. Finnish Tamil scholar Asko Parpola was awarded the Kalaignar M. Karunanidhi Classical Tamil award. Tamil scholar V. Sivathambi from Sri Lanka, UNESCO Director Arumugam Parasuraman, MP and political leader Sitaram Yechury of Communist Party of India (Marxist), D. Raja of Communist Party of India, Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi president Thol. Thirumavalavan and Pattali Makkal Katchi founder S. Ramadoss are participating in the ceremony. Dignitaries and Tamil scholars will be gifted with an exquisitely engraved Thanjavur' plate.
Tamil scholar George Hart from the United States, will present a paper on Sangam literature and Indian epigraphist Iravatham Mahadevan will chair a debate on scripts. Rononjoy Adhikari and Kavitha Gangal from Institute of Mathematical Science, who are currently working on a mathematical model to relate the Indus script with the Dravidian language will be involved in the debate on scripts.
“Iniyavai Naarppathu” a parade depicting depth of Tamil Literature was appreciated by all and it was witnessed by few lakhs of people. This parade took path from Coimbatore V.O.C Park to the Event venue for 11 km. Throughout the way it was enjoyed and welcome by lakhs of people. In the conference venue, exhibition containing crucial elements of Tamil literature; culture was highly appreciated and the support was so high that it was extended for few more days.
The theme song, "Semmozhiyaana Thamizh Mozhiyaam" was penned by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi with music by A.R. Rahman. The Video was directed by Gautham Menon which had various artists, musicians, singers. This video was played numerous times in various channels and liked by many people.
The conference and associated activities also faced oppositions and criticisms from various political parties and public. Many felt that the event lacked academic and intellectual rigor. Others viewed it as a partisan event. The Sri Lankan participants felt ignored.
- "World Tamil Conference begins on Wed in Coimbatore". ND TV. June 22, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "World Tamil Conference-2010". Dinamalar. June 22, 2010.
- "Coimbatore decked up for world classical Tamil conference". Deccan Herald. June 16, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "Pratibha Patil inaugurates World Classical Tamil Conference". The Hindu. June 23, 2010. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- "Exquisite Thanjavur plate for participants in World Tamil Conference". TimesofIndia. June 11, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "5-day world Tamil conference begins". TimesofIndia. June 23, 2010. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- "World Classical Tamil Conference Theme Song". The Hindu. May 20, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "Karunanidhi and the politics of Tamil culture". Sri Lanka Guardian. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Posted by transCurrents on June 15, 2010 05:22 AM (2010-06-15). "World Tamil Classical Conference in Tamil Nadu Will Boost Chief Minister Karunanidhi's Image". transCurrents. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "The political uses of Tamil". Indian Express. 2010-06-25. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Iqbal Mohideen. Karunanidhi And The Politics Of Tamil Culture
- World Tamil Classical Conference in Tamil Nadu Will Boost Chief Minister Karunanidhi's Image
- The political uses of Tamil
- Sri Lankan speakers feel ignored at conference
- http://www.dinakaran.com/semmozhi/ -(உலகத் தமிழ்ச் செம்மொழி மாநாடு 2010)
- lconference2010.wordpress.com world tamil conference 2010
- ulaka thamizh chemmozhi - Tamil
- World Classical Tamil Conference – a perspective
- The Indus script and the wild ass
- World Tamil conference 2010 (உலகத் தமிழ்ச் செம்மொழி மாநாடு)