|I World Games
|| Santa Clara
||25 July 1981
||3 August 1981
|Officially opened by
The 1981 World Games were the first World Games and they were held in Santa Clara, California in the United States. The games featured sports that were not included in the Olympics, including tug-of-war, racquetball, baseball and softball, artistic roller skating, roller hockey, roller speed skating, fin swimming, karate, women's water polo, bowling, bodybuilding, casting and taekwondo.
89 titles (86 + 3 of invitational sports) were awarded in 16 sports (2 invitational).
As Invitational sport
The following were the medal tally during the 1st World Games, USA is the over-all champion of this edition.
- ^ "De-pomped games open", Bend (OR) Bulletin, July 24, 1981, pD-3
- ^ "World Games end without fanfare", Lodi (CA) News-Sentinel, August 4, 1981, p12
- ^ "World Games I: Kolenda rules fin swimming", Ellensburg (WA) Daily Record, July 28, 1981, p8
- ^ "World Games". sports123.com. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- ^ "World Games 1981 at USA (gbr) - Medal Table". sports123.com. Retrieved 6 June 2012.