World Naked Gardening Day
World Naked Gardening Day (WNGD) in an annual international event celebrated during May by horticulturists. WNGD has been celebrated on two different dates: May 3 and May 14. It is celebrated on every first Saturday in May according to the official website. Founded by Mark Storey and Daniel Johnson, the first World Naked Gardening Day celebration was organized in 2005. WNGD is sponsored by the American Association for Nude Recreation (AANR), a nudist organization in the United States. Although the event is associated with the socio-cultural naturist movement, its founders assert the day is intended to be "lighthearted", devoid of politics.
The event is organized to celebrate gardening activities such as weed control, planting of flowers and cutting hedges while naked. An AANR press release, published during the sixth annual World Naked Gardening Day, described naked gardening to be a healthy practice. AANR public relations representative Tom Mulhall claims naked gardening may help boost a positive self-image.
According to the organizers, "besides being liberating, nude gardening is second only to swimming as an activity that people are most ready to consider doing nude", an assertion described as "true" by The Hamilton Spectator. The organization's website claims people throughout the world are "invited to tend their portion of the world's garden clothed as nature intended."
During the fifth annual World Naked Gardening Day in the United Kingdom, celebrated in 2010, organizers encouraged people to go naked either in their private gardens or in public parks. According to the Sky News Online, organizers of the event thought an "au naturel joie de vivre" will bind all communities and people regardless of their background and age.
- "Fine Living: Nude gardening buffs exposed". Marin Independent Journal. 5 March 2007. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Not dirty to play in dirt on World Naked Gardening Day". MSNBC. 13 April 2011. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- Metropolitan home. Meredith Corp. 2008. p. 64. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "Nude climber craze tipped to take over Britain". The Daily Telegraph. 14 July 2008. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "World Naked Gardening Day: Ready the soil, plant seeds and take off your clothes". Cleveland.com. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Have trowel, drop trou? – A nationwide day devoted to gardening in the nude doesn't seem to have gathered much traction in the Midwest.". Star Tribune. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "World naked gardening day". The Hamilton Spectator. 13 May 2011. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Gardening naked as the end approaches". Mail Tribune. 15 May 2011. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Phwoar-ticultural: It's Naked Gardening Day". Sky News Online. 8 May 2010. Retrieved 22 March 2012.