World Resources Institute
The World Resources Institute (WRI) is a global research organization that spans more than 50 countries, with offices in the United States, China , Brazil, and more. WRI India, based in Mumbai, is an independent organization inspired by WRI and sharing WRI's mission, goals, and programs. WRI has more than 450 experts and staff who work closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain the world's natural resources — the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being.
WRI organizes its work around six critical goals that the world must achieve this decade in order to secure a sustainable future:
- Climate Change: Protect communities and natural ecosystems from damage caused by greenhouse gas emissions, and generate opportunities for people by catalyzing a global transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Energy: Drive the scale-up of clean, affordable power systems throughout the world to deliver sustainable socio-economic development.
- Food: Ensure the world’s food systems reduce their impact on the environment, drive economic opportunity, and sustainably feed 9.6 billion people by 2050.
- Forests: Alleviate poverty, enhance food security, conserve biodiversity, and mitigate climate change by reducing forest loss and restoring productivity to degraded, deforested lands.
- Water: Achieve a water-secure future by mapping, measuring, and mitigating global water risks.
- Cities and Transport: Improve quality of life in cities by developing and scaling environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable urban and transport solutions.
WRI designs solutions for and analyze these six critical goals through the lenses of three Centers:
- The Governance Center works to empower people and support institutions to foster socially equitable and environmentally sound decision-making.
- The Business Center harnesses the private sector to spur action, innovation, and ambition in support of sustainable development outcomes. WRI combines research, analysis, tools, and direct engagement with businesses to create solutions that advance environmental sustainability and drive value.
- The Finance Center aims to mobilize and shift public and private sector investments toward sustainable development—particularly in developing nations. WRI advances transparency, sound governance, environmental and social safeguards, and public-private partnerships to ensure this finance is ambitious, accountable, and effective.
WRI is governed by a Board of Directors. Donor information and accomplishments of the organization are highlighted in its Annual Report. The current president, Dr. Andrew Steer, began his term in August 2012.
WRI's mission is to accompany human society to live in ways that protect Earth's environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.