World Series of Fighting
|Industry||Mixed martial arts promotion|
|Headquarters||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Key people||Sig Rogich (CEO)
Ray Sefo (President)
World Series of Fighting, also known as WSOF, is an American mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion based in Las Vegas, Nevada. Its live events and competitions have been shown on the NBC Sports Network in the United States, TSN2 in Canada and on TV Esporte Interativo in Brazil.
WSOF was formed in 2012, having signed a broadcast deal with the NBC Sports Network. This will be the third MMA promotion that NBC Sports has hosted, having broadcast World Extreme Cagefighting and Ultimate Fighting Championship events when the channel was formerly known as Versus. NBC Sports had been one of the bidders for the rights to broadcast future UFC events, but lost out to Fox. However, some journalists regarded WSOFs deal with NBC Sports to be a considerable coup for a debuting promotion, considering NBC Sports' past interest in the UFC. Upon the announcement of the broadcast deal, WSOF President Ray Sefo stated that the promotion wanted to host 8-10 events per year, whilst holding a one-year deal with NBC Sports. However, the next day, an NBC spokesman revealed that the deal only covered WSOFs inaugural event, with the option for more, should NBC hold a positive evaluation. On February the 4th 2013 it was reported by several news outlets that NBC Sports signed a 3 year deal with WSOF. On September 23, 2014, it was announced that the WSOF was moving their events to PPV in 2015.
Soon after the promotion's event announcement, they confirmed that Bas Rutten, Michael Schiavello and Kurt Angle would be the commentators for the debut event. However, days later, Angle, a TNA wrestler, was removed from the broadcast by Viacom (the owner of Spike TV, who broadcast TNA Wrestling), who claimed that the job was a conflict of interest. On September 10, 2012, Ray Sefo tweeted "There's a conflict of interest, so he won't be able to do the (Nov.) 3 show," Sefo said, adding the split was amicable. A replacement has yet to be found." Until commentator Kenny Rice was added at WSOF 5 on September 14, 2013, along with reporter Joey Varner. Ring Announcer Jazz Securo was also acquired and debuted September 14, 2013 at WSOF 5 in Atlantic City, NJ. He has since become the "Official Voice of the World Series of Fighting Decagon".
WSOF uses a ten-sided (Decagon) cage for their events, unlike the UFC's eight-sided octagon.
In the Summer of 2013, the World Series of Fighting quietly purchased Nicaragua’s Omega MMA and rebranded it World Series of Fighting: Central America. The promotion held its first event on July 27, 2013, headlined by former boxing world champion Ricardo Mayorga. In September 2013, World Series of Fighting purchased the Aggression Fighting Championship organization to enter the Canadian market, but it was later found out the AFC executives closed down the company to join a new organization World Series of Fighting: Canada. World Series of Fighting: Japan was created along with the newly formed partnership with Pancrase to host events in Japan, whilst plans are in place to create branches in New Zealand and Australia.
As of November 15, 2014, World Series of Fighting has held a total of 19 events.
|Division||Upper weight limit||Champion||Since||Title Defenses||Next Challenger|
(120 kg; 18.9 st)
|Smealinho Rama||WSOF 14
October 11, 2014
|Light Heavyweight||205 lb
(93 kg; 14.6 st)
(84 kg; 13.2 st)
|David Branch||WSOF 10
June 21, 2014
(77 kg; 12 st)
|Rousimar Palhares||WSOF 9
March 29, 2014
(70 kg; 11.1 st)
|Justin Gaethje||WSOF 8
January 18, 2014
(66 kg; 10.4 st)
|Lance Palmer||WSOF 16
December 13, 2014
(61 kg; 9.6 st)
|Marlon Moraes||WSOF 9
March 29, 2014
|Women's Strawweight||115 lb
|Jessica Aguilar||WSOF 8
January 18, 2014
- "USA Today: MMA promoter ranks grow by one: Miguel Torres in WSOF 1 headliner". mmajunkie.com. September 6, 2012.
- "Ray Sefo ready for new challenge with World Series of Fighting". mmafighting.com. September 6, 2012.
- "Viewpoint: Uphill Climb". sherdog.com. September 10, 2012.
- "NBC Sports: World Series of Fighting deal only covers one event". mmafighting.com. September 7, 2012.
- "World Series of Fighting Inks 3-Year Deal with NBC Sports Network". bleacherreport.com. February 4, 2013.
- "World Series of Fighting signs 3-year deal with NBC Sports Network". mmafighting.com. February 4, 2013.
- "WSOF announces "revenue sharing model" in 2015 move to PPV; WSOF 15 moves head to head with UFC 180 and Bellator 131".
- "TNA contract nixes Kurt Angle commentator job at World Series of Fighting". mmajunkie.com. September 10, 2012.
- "AFC closes doors to join WSOF Canada". Topmmanewscom. Retrieved 2013-09-30.
- http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/world-series-of-fighting-launches-wsof-japan-partners-with-pancrase World Series of Fighting launches WSOF Japan, partners with Pancrase
- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/world-series-fighting-targets-zealand-231258436--mma.html World Series of Fighting Targets New Zealand for April 2014