World of Music, Arts and Dance
WOMAD (World of Music, Arts and Dance) is an international arts festival. The central aim of WOMAD is to celebrate the world's many forms of music, arts and dance.
WOMAD was founded in 1980 by British progressive rock musician Peter Gabriel, with Thomas Brooman, Bob Hooton, Mark Kidel, Stephen Pritchard, Martin Elbourne and Jonathan Arthur. The first WOMAD festival was in Shepton Mallet, UK in 1982. The audience saw Peter Gabriel, Don Cherry, The Beat, Drummers of Burundi, Echo & The Bunnymen, Imrat Khan, Prince Nico M' barga, Simple Minds, Suns of Arqa, The Chieftains and Ekome amongst others performing.
However, Gabriel and his company — which had funded WOMAD — faced financial ruin due to its commercial failure,[when?] put down to lack of suitable transport to the venue and publicity. At the suggestion Tony Smith, the manager of Gabriel and Genesis, he and the remaining members of Genesis agreed to play together for a single show under the name 'Six of the Best'.
Since 1982 WOMAD Festivals has travelled all over the world, bringing artists to numerous locations and entertaining over one million people. The main UK event was held at Rivermead in Reading from 1990 until 2006.
From the outset, the WOMAD name has reflected the festival’s idea; to be embracing but non-definitive, inspiring and outward looking; and more than anything, enthusiastic about a world that has no boundaries in its ability to communicate through music and movement.
WOMAD has always presented music that they felt to be of excellence, passion and individuality, regardless of musical genre or geographical origin. WOMAD encourages collaboration amongst the artists they invite to perform. The first WOMAD Festival in 1982 had Echo and the Bunnymen join forces with the Drummers of Burundi, and WOMAD Abu Dhabi 2010, saw a collaboration between Tinariwen, TV on the Radio members Kyp Malone and Tunde Adebimpe, and the French Algerian Mehdi from Speed Caravan.
- Workshops. Adult workshops are taken by the musicians and will involve dance, musical instruments and discussions. Children's workshops involve painting, circus skills, graffiti, modelling, story telling and more.
- Taste The World. Musicians cook a choice of dish from their home country in front of an audience.
- Global Market. The Global Market sells international food and wares.
WOMAD in the UK takes place in the grounds of Charlton Park, a stately home in Wiltshire. The arena holds at least 5 main stages with a further one in the Arboretum. An old fashioned steam fair, global market, children's area, wellbeing section is also found on the WOMAD UK festival site. WOMAD Charlton Park falls on the last complete weekend in July.
- WOMADelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
- WOMAD New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand
- WOMAD Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- WOMAD Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain
- WOMAD Sicily, Sicily, Italy
- WOMAD Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain
- Bright, Spencer: Peter Gabriel, an authorized biography (pp.180) , Pan 1999.
- Derek Beres, review of "Between Two Worlds", 2006. Accessed: http://www.globalrhythm.net/Film/BetweenTwoWorlds.cfm
- "WOMAD". efestivals. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- Bristol Zoo teams up with Womad for summer spectacular – Bristol24-7
- AN evening of music from around the world will be staged at Bristol Zoo this summer as it teams up with the WOMAD festival for a unique concert. | This is Bristol
- Bristol Zoo teams up with WOMAD to offer a wild music festival - 17/03/11 | Bristol Zoo
- Final acts revealed for WOMAD music festival at Bristol Zoo - Visit Bristol
- Trio of acts complete line-up for zoo's summer world music event | This is Bristol
- Bristol University | School of Biological Sciences | Womad at Bristol Zoo
- WOMAD Festival returns to Bristol Zoo Gardens for another musical extravaganza – Bristol24-7
- Music festival returns to the zoo | This is Bristol
- WOMAD At Bristol Zoo 2012 » Festivals » WOMAD
- BBC News - Row over Bristol Zoo plan to host Womad concert
- WOMAD New Zealand
- WOMAD Abu Dhabi
- WOMAD Cáceres
- WOMAD Sicily
- WOMAD Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to World of Music, Arts and Dance.|
- Official WOMAD website
- Official WOMADelaide website
- Official WOMAD New Zealand website
- Official WOMAD Abu Dhabi website