Worm (Kamen Rider)
Worms (ワーム Wāmu?) are the villains in the Japanese tokusatsu series Kamen Rider Kabuto. They are an alien life form that came from a meteor destroying the city district of Shibuya seven years prior to the series' timeline. However, the Worms known as Natives existed prior to the coming of the Shibuya Meteorite, through another meteorite that came 35 years ago. In the movie, a third meteor nearly hit the Earth, though thanks to Kabuto it was adverted and history was altered. This implies that meteors containing Worms are insolated and there are others.
The Worms were designed by Yasushi Nirasawa (韮沢 靖 Nirasawa Yasushi?), who also designed the Undead for Kamen Rider Blade, the Horrors in GARO and later created the Imagin for Kamen Rider Den-O. These designs were later detailed in Worm Works: GITAI (ワームワークスGITAI Wāmu Wākusu GITAI?).
- 1 Shibuya Meteorite
- 2 Classification
- 3 Major Worms
- 4 Minor Worms
- 5 References
A mysterious meteorite that crashed into Shibuya seven years ago. This meteorite brought along the extraterrestrial creatures known as Worms. During episode 41, Riku Kagami explains that another meteorite carrying the Natives had arrived on Earth thirty-five years before this, explaining why fragments of the meteorite similar to those of the Shibuya Meteorite existed so long ago. The Natives that arrived on Earth worked with humans to create the Masked Rider System in order to fend off the threat of other Worms that would arrive later. In the movie, which acts as a prequel to the series, its revealed this meteor was actually far larger and would've vaporized Earth's oceans and released many more Worms until Hyper Kabuto went back in time with the meteor and caused it to slam into the Shibuya meteor, resulting in only a small fragment of it landing in Shibuya.
There exist two different species of Worms, the Natives and the unnamed Worms. The Natives have a horn appendage attached to their heads and they are not as aggressive as the Worms.
Natives are the Worms that arrived on Earth 35 years ago. After assuming human identities, they developed the Masked Rider System to give to the humans what would form ZECT. In return, ZECT would protect them from other Worms that might arrive. Most usually live in peace blending in with human society; some actually can create their own human forms without stealing other identities compared to their counterparts. Hiyori is "unique" among the Natives because she was naturally born Native.
Tachikawa Daigo is the first Native to appear. Certain Natives like him are able to summon the power of the Zecters. More Natives are revealed during episode 41, as their alliance with ZECT is clarified. Tadokoro is also revealed to be a Native working for ZECT after an AMB accident forces him back into his Worm form. Sisyra Worm, a Worm that was born from a Native mother, is the only Native Worm to be shown outside of a pupa form.
Negishi, a leader of the Natives who appears in episode 45, seems to be very hyperactive. In episode 47 and 48, it is revealed that Negishi works together with Mishima in order to turn humans into Natives using a special necklace, as Negishi believes that there is no other way for his kind and humans to co-exist. However, some Natives, such as Tadokoro, are indeed able to live on as a human. Ultimately, Negishi's plan fails thanks to Kabuto and Gatack. At the end of the series, its assumed with the final destruction of the invading Worms, the Natives return to their previous peaceful co-existence with mankind.
The second Worm species, they are not given a specific name, arrived on Earth seven years ago on the Shibuya Meteorite. Aggressive to humans, Worms attempt to blend into the human population by copying the faces of their victims along with their memories. They only need to look at the human to copy their image, but once done so, they attempt to kill the original. However, the Worms believe the person that was mimicked now exists as a part of them due the fact they also acquired their victims' personalities. Despite being able to copy both image and memory, they are unable to copy certain things such as scent; in addition, their disguises can be neutralize by chemicals, such as makeup. Aside humans, the Worms are extremely aggressive towards their Native counterparts. The pupa form is known as a Salis Worm (サリスワーム Sarisu Wāmu?), taking on the shape of a chrysalis. A Salis normally has a green body, except for the albino one known as a Mutation Salis which has a white body. After a Worm is threatened or endangered, it has the ability to molt, revealing a stronger form that can move at blinding speeds which comes from their high metabolism.
It is later revealed that Worms do not need to naturally molt and their "cast" can be broken off or shattered. They also have the ability to revert into a Salis form if necessary. They tend to evolve more efficiently than their counterparts. When a Worm is destroyed, it explodes into its predominant color. They largely resemble Arthropods, specifically insects. The Executives and their direct subordinates are the only Worms with non-insect appearance. Rena Mamiya/Uca Worm, Cammarus Worm, Subst Worm and Reiji Nogi/Cassis Worm are all crustacean-type Worms. The Cochlea Worm is surprisingly a mollusk. By the events in episodes 46 and 47, the Worms eventually die out with only few remaining.
Playing a significant role in the series, these Worms are usually Executives or otherwise important Worms that greatly influence the story.
The upper-class Worms usually control massive groups of Worms. Very few Executives have been seen, but they each possess an enormous amount of power.
- Rena Mamiya/Uca Worm (間宮 麗奈／ウカワーム Mamiya Rena/Uka Wāmu?, 25-40): The first executive leader Worm to appear during episode 25, assuming the form of Rena Mamiya, a woman whose childhood dream was to sing in an opera. As a result, Uca Worm had an interest in singing requiems to her victims. She has several subordinates as her followers. Three of them (Cammarus Worm, Cochlea Worm and Subst Worm) are shown in their Worm form. The two remaining subordinates only appear in their human form during episode 37, testing Tendou's ability to fight without the Hyper Zecter. Instead of being defeated at the hands of the Hyper Zecter, they were destroyed by Tendou's newly acquired Perfect Zecter. During the events of episode 39, in a fight with Kabuto, Uca Worm was injured and suffered a loss of memory as a Worm, believing that she was Rena herself and meeting Daisuke who fell in love with her human side. However, Rena soon regains her memories and fights Drake, forcing him to fatally wound her with (Double) Rider Shooting. Shortly afterwards she dies in Daisuke's arms.
- Reiji Nogi/Cassis Worm (乃木 怜治／カッシスワーム Nogi Reiji/Kasshisu Wāmu?, 41-46): Nogi is an even stronger Executive Worm, entering the scene after Uca Worm was destroyed. He was followed by six subordinates. He has the "Life of Immortality" ability, which enables him to evolve into a stronger form each time he gets defeated. Each of his forms has natural fighting ability and a unique power of his own. He was eventually destroyed as Cassis Worm Clipeus.
- Cassis Worm Dimidius (カッシスワーム・ディミディウス Kasshisu Wāmu Dimidiusu?, 41-42): The first form is Cassis Worm Dimidius. His unique power is "Freeze" or the ability to stop the flow of time to the point in which even the power of Hyper Clock Up is purposeless. He was defeated by Hyper Kabuto's Maximum Hyper Cyclone.
- Cassis Worm Gladius (カッシスワーム・グラディウス Kasshisu Wāmu Guradiusu?, 42-44): The second form is Cassis Worm Gladius. His power in this stronger form is advanced into "Absorb" or the ability to absorb other Worms and tachyon energy to gain their powers. He can only absorb tachyon energy sequencially. Simultaneous application of tachyon-based attacks will result to neutralization of the absorbed tachyon. He was weakened by Kabuto, Gattack and Kick Hopper's (Triple) Rider Kick and ultimately defeated right after by Hyper Kabuto's Maximum Hyper Cyclone.
- Cassis Worm Clipeus (カッシスワーム・クリペウス Kasshisu Wāmu Kuripeusu?, 45-46): The third form is Cassis Worm Clipeus. His power in this form is "Clone" or the ability to split himself into two entities. In addition to the blade arm gained in the previous form, he now gets armored plates and shields across his body. The first copy was destroyed by Gatack's Rider Kick, while the second one was destroyed by Kick Hopper, Punch Hopper's Rider Kick and Rider Punch.
- Scorpio Worm (スコルピオワーム Sukorupio Wāmu?, 19-46): Tsurugi's alter ego, Scorpio Worm is the Worm that killed Tsurugi and his sister and then mimicked Tsurugi. However, Tsurugi was able to overpower it and suppress his Worm heart, but he loses this resolve as he discovers he is a Worm in episode 46. It is also revealed that his stingers can force Worms to return to their human forms, as demonstrated upon the Clipeus's. He was defeated by Hyper Kabuto's Maximum Hyper Typhoon. He later died in his human form after talking to Jiiya.
Natives (ネイティブ Neitibu?) are commonly shown in an altered pupa form, but a few Natives have evolved and reached a higher stage in the Worm hierarchy and are classified as "unique".
- Sisyra Worm (シシーラワーム Shishīra Wāmu?, 31-49): Hiyori's alter ego, Sisyra Worm surfaced after Hiyori was in danger of being killed by Worms. Like Tadokoro, she is a Native who chose not to attack humanity. She is considered a special class of Native as she was naturally conceived through birth rather than mimic.
- Gryllus Worm (グリラスワーム Gurirasu Wāmu?, 48-49): The form Mishima took on after using multiple necklaces to forcefully transform himself into the "strongest Native", able to contend with the likes of Dark Kabuto and Hyper Kabuto and overpower them. He was destroyed by Hyper Kabuto and Gatack's (Double) Rider Kick.
Some of these lower-class Worms are subordinates of Executives, while others have no association with the majority of Worms. They serve mainly as monsters of the week.
Aracnea Worm sub-class
- Aracnea Worm Rubor (アラクネアワーム・ ルボア Arakunea Wāmu Ruboa?, 1): The first Worm to be killed by Kabuto executing his Avalanche Break.
- Aracnea Worm Flavus (アラクネアワーム・フラバス Arakunea Wāmu Furabasu?, 1-2): A Worm who is destroyed by Kabuto's Avalanche Slash.
- Aracnea Worm Nigritia (アラクネアワーム・ニグリティア Arakunea Wāmu Niguritia?, 3-4): A Worm who Kabuto overwhelms in Rider Form before killing it with his Rider Kick.
Verber Worm sub-class
Tailless Whip Scorpion-based Worms that targeted people in white.
- Verber Worm (ベルバーワーム Berubā Wāmu?, 7-8): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Verber Worm Rota (ベルバーワーム・ロタ Berubā Wāmu Rota?, 7): Destroyed by TheBee's Rider Sting.
Coleoptera Worm sub-class
- Coleoptera Worm Aeneus (コレオプテラワーム・アエネウス Koreputera Wāmu Aeneusu?, 9): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Coleoptera Worm Croceus (コレオプテラワーム・クロセウス Koreputera Wāmu Kuroseusu?, 9-10): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Coleoptera Worm Argentum (コレオプテラワーム・アージェンタム Koreputera Wāmu Ājentamu?, 9-10): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
Sectio Worm sub-class
- Sectio Worm (セクティオワーム Sekutio Wāmu?, 13): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Sectio Worm Acuere (セクティオワーム・アクエレ Sekutio Wāmu Akuere?, 13): Destroyed by TheBee's Rider Sting.
Formicaalubus Worm sub-class
Termite-based Worms, spared a doctor's life and assumed his form to target those in his care, turning them into drywood. Though their methods were odd, they still were Worms in nature.
- Formicaalubus Worm (フォルミカアルビュスワーム Forumikaarubyusu Wāmu?, 15-16): Destroyed by Drake's Rider Shooting.
- Formicaalubus Worm Oculus (フォルミカアルビュスワーム・オキュルス Forumikaarubyusu Wāmu Okyurusu?, 16): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Formicaalubus Worm Maxilla (フォルミカアルビュスワーム・マキシラ Forumikaarubyusu Wāmu Makishira?, 16): Destroyed by TheBee.
Brachypelma Worm sub-class
Tarantula-like Worms that protected the Worm eggs.
- Brachypelma Worm Aurantium (ブラキペルマワーム・オーランタム Burakiperuma Wāmu Ōrantamu?, 21-22): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Brachypelma Worm Viridis (ブラキペルマワーム・ビリディス Burakiperuma Wāmu Biridisu?, 21-22): A Worm that copied Kagami's form and was later destroyed by Gatack's Gatack Vulcan.
Geophild Worm sub-class
- Geophilid Worm 1 (23): Targeted Hiyori. Destroyed by Gatack's Rider Kick.
- Geophilid Worm 2 (23): Targeted a fortune-teller. Destroyed by Gatack's Double Calibur.
- Geophilid Worm 3 (23): Targeted a man in a bowling alley. Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Geophilid Worm 4 (23): Tageted Hiyori while she was at her parents' tombstone. Destroyed by Gatack's Rider Cutting.
- Geophilid Worm 5 (24): Encountered in Area-X. Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Geophilid Worm 6 (24): Encountered in Area-X. Destroyed by Gatack's Rider Kick.
Acarina Worm sub-class
- Acarina Worm (アキャリナワーム Akyarina Wāmu?, 27): A Worm that is destroyed by Kabuto and Gatack's (Double) Rider Kick.
- Acarina Worm Amber (アキャリナワーム・アンバー Akyarina Wāmu Anbā?, 28): Posed as Daisuke in a ZECT/Worm plot to kill off the real Daisuke and take the Drake Zecter. Defeated by Drake's Rider Shooting and destroyed by punches then being slammed into the ground.
Camponotus Worm sub-class
Carpenter ant-like Worms exclusive to the Hyper Battle special.
- Camponotus Worm Oculus (カンポノタスワーム・オキュルス Kanponotasu Wāmu Okyurusu?): Destroyed by Hyper Gatack's Maximum Rider Power >>> Rider Kick.
- Camponotus Worm Maxilla (カンポノタスワーム・マキシラ Kanponotasu Wāmu Makishira?): Destroyed by Hyper Kabuto's Maximum Rider Power >>> Rider Kick.
- Lanpyris Worm (ランピリスワーム Ranpirisu Wāmu?, 3): A Worm that mimicked an officer it had just killed, the Lanpyris Worm goes after a girl named Yuki Tamai who witnessed its mimicry, assuming her form as the police arrive and arrest it with the girl running off. Ending up in the Shibakouen Station, the fake Yuki is intervened by Maki, convinced that the girl is human. However, Tendou breaks her out and she runs off to accomplish her objective as the real Yuki meets with her date at the amusement park. Assuming its true form, the Lanpyris Worm battles Kabuto over the entire amusement park at super speed before being destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Bellcricetus Worm (ベルクリケタスワーム Berukuriketasu Wāmu?, 3-4): A Worm that assumed the form of Kagami's younger brother, Ryo. This was the reason why he joined ZECT. Appearing in present day, the Bellcricetus Worm attacks Tendou after he defeated the Lanpyris Worm, molting into its adult form before flying off and stalking Tendou while playing on Kagami's emotions. Once "Ryo" reveals himself as a Worm, the Bellcricetus Worm explains the nature behind Worm mimicry as Tendou arrives and executes a Rider Kick on the Worm.
- Epilachna Worm (エピラクナワーム Epirakuna Wāmu?, 5): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Pulex Worm (プレクスワーム Purekusu Wāmu?, 6): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Musca Worm (ミュスカワーム Myusuka Wāmu?, 11-12): Destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Viella Worm (ビエラワーム Biera Wāmu?, 17-18): Destroyed by Drake's Rider Shooting.
- Sepultura Worm (セパルチュラワーム Separuchura Wāmu?, 19-20): Destroyed by Sasword's Rider Slash.
- Tarantes Worm Purpura (タランテスワーム・パープラ Tarantesu Wāmu Pāpura?, 21-22): Assumed the form of Makoto, whom Kagami befriended. Though he survived Gatack's Rider Kick, Purpura/Makoto died protecting Kagami from the explosion that wiped out the Worm eggs.
- Genomyas Worm (ジェノミアスワーム Jenomiasu Wāmu?, 25-26): Destroyed by Gatack's Rider Kick.
- Culex Worm (キュレックスワーム Kyurekkusu Wāmu?, 29-30): Posed as Ichiro Ikesu (生簀 一郎 Ikesu Ichirō?), a master of the dark cooking arts that can manipulate emotion. Using the legendary Black Knife, Culex Worm/Ichiro intended to take over the world with his cooking. But Tendou stopped him, regardless of having attained the legendary White Knife. Culex Worm intended to kill Tendou to obtain the memories of his cooking skills, only to be destroyed by Kabuto's Rider Kick.
- Foliatus Worm (フォリアタスワーム Foriatasu Wāmu?, 31-32): Destroyed by Kabuto and Gatack's (Double) Rider Kick.
- Cammarus Worm (キャマラスワーム Kyamarasu Wāmu?, 33-34): Destroyed by Hyper Kabuto's Maximum Rider Power Rider Kick.
- Cochlea Worm (コキリアワーム Kokiria Wāmu?, 35-36): Destroyed by Hyper Kabuto's Maximum Rider Power Rider Kick.
- Leptophyes Worm (レプトーフィスワーム Reputōfisu Wāmu?, 37-38): Posed as a member of the choir class that disappeared seven years ago. Destroyed by Hyper Kabuto's Maximum Hyper Typhoon.
- Subst Worm (サブストワーム Sabusuto Wāmu?, 39-40): A former servant of Uca Worm who turned on her mistress for "betraying herself and the Worms." Destroyed by Hyper Kabuto's Hyper Slash.
- "仮面ライダーカブト 韮沢靖ワームワークスGITAI". Retrieved 2008-05-08.