Worthington Christian High School
|Worthington Christian High School|
|6670 Worthington-Galena Road
Worthington, Ohio, (Franklin County), 43085
|Type||Private, Coeducational high school|
Grace Brethren Church
|School district||Worthington Christian Schools|
|Color(s)||Red and Gold|
|Fight song||Warriors are Red Hot|
|Sports||golf, football, soccer, volleyball, girls tennis, cross country, Boys JV basketball, Boys Varsity Basketball, Girls JV Basketball, Girls Varsity Basketball, Bowling, swimming, track, boys tennis, softball.|
|Rival||West Jefferson High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Athletic Director||Kevin Weakley|
As suggested by the name, the school teaches Christian beliefs as a required part of its curriculum. All students and staff must agree to what it calls the Community Life Together Covenant, which is a statement of values and principles, that guide conduct.
According to the school, 95% of graduates go on to a subsequent four-year degree program.
The high school is run by Worthington Christian Schools, which in turn, is a ministry of the Grace Brethren Church of Columbus, Ohio; a member of the Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches. The school's statement of faith comes from the fellowship, a voluntary organization of autonomous churches. Students come from a variety of different Christian churches, and are required to share core beliefs, but not necessarily belong to the same denomination.
Please read before modifying the list of notable alumni.
This is a selective list of both graduates, and others who attended the school.
- Tyler Joseph – Graduated in 2008, he is co-founder, lead singer, piano, ukulele, keytar and synthesizer player of the band Twenty One Pilots.
- Nick Thomas – Graduated in 2008, he is co-founder, former bass and electronic keyboard player of the band Twenty One Pilots.
- Lawrence Funderburke – Former Ohio State and NBA basketball player (although Funderburke transferred and finished his high school career at the now closed Wehrle High School)
- Maggie Grace – Television and movie actress, she attended Worthington Christian Schools from Kindergarten to grade nine (grade nine being the only one at the high school). At the time she was at the school, her name was Margaret Grace Denig. She has shared about her experience while being interviewed by Conan O'Brian.
- Renaldo Rapheal Christians – Born in Cape Town, South Africa, he graduated in 1996. Is known for his achievements in sport, namely soccer, winning a league championship with his club in Europe. Named as a sports man of honor by the Western Cape South African Department of Sport.
- Melody Pomeroy – Graduated in 2001, she is a stage actress who has performed across the U.S., as well as in Germany and Japan Her most recent role was in a national tour of Oklahoma!. read before modifying the list of notable alumni. -->
The music program helps raise funds for school partly by selling CDs. Included CDs are Voices from the Chapel and Battle of Jericho.
- Fall: golf, soccer, volleyball, tennis, Cross Country, Football
- Winter: basketball, bowling
- Spring: baseball, softball, tennis, track
- Year round: cheerleading
Ohio High School Athletic Association team state championships
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- Institution Summary, AdvancED, Retrieved 2012-07-08
- Wikipedia Guidelines on Biographies of Living Persons
- Warrior News - Winter 2005 (PDF), Publication of Worthington Christian
- Conan - Team COCO Website
- Warrior News - Winter 2003/2004 (PDF)
- Melody Pomeroy at OklahomonTour.com
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D4". Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- Worthington Christian High School at the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) - Major accrediting body for Protestant schools in the U.S.