|Slogan||Be the Future of Film! |
|Type of site||Collaboration tool for movie making|
|Registration||Required for input, reading free|
|Content license||Free sharing, free agreement |
|Owner||Star Wreck Studios Oy Ltd (commercial)|
|Created by||Timo Vuorensola|
|Launched||1 February 2007|
|Current status||Fully functional, developing|
Wreckamovie is a collaborative film production platform to allow individuals to set up a film production and find a community to collaborate with, or find others' interesting film productions and become a collaborator in a worknet. Its aim is to make filmmaking easier, more effective and possible for everyone.
Star Wreck Studios Oy Ltd and Wreckamovie were created by a group of filmmakers from Finland, who in 2005 created the freely downloadable Star Trek parody movie Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning. It gained web fame for being created and distributed by a community of enthusiasts over the internet, and for its special effects only made on a shoestring budget using standard home computers. The experiences of the group creating the aforementioned film, their first feature film, led them to develop a platform that's open and easy to use for everyone.
Wreckamovie is considered a model example of the potential of Web 2.0 according to Cisco Systems Finland Oy. As a business model it presents the exact opposite of the traditional way of making movies. With it a community creates and distributes the film, and only then, once popularity has already been gained, profitability steps in.
Wreckamovie serves all kinds of audiovisual productions, from short films and music videos to full feature-length films. The concept is that anyone can build a community for a movie or any audiovisual project, and ask for assistance in desired tasks for the production. The service makes it possible to produce films together with the community, and thus to create a real interaction with the audience from the development stage.
The service doesn't distinguish between "professionals" and "amateurs", but emphasizes on enthusiasm.
In addition to online distribution, the creators want to distribute movies in every possible way, ranging from traditional movie screens to cell phones. Then the existing community serves as a strong potential base for viral marketing.
On 16 October 2009 Wreckamovie was being used for the production of the reference movie for the service, a full-length scifi parody Iron Sky. It was earlier used for the now accomplished Finnish horror film Sauna. The platform is open for service in general. There were more than 300 active projects listed on Wreckamovie in 2009.
In 2008 the movie production community Wreck-A-Movie was elected the winner of the MindTrek Grand Prix 2008, €20 008. In October 2009 Wreckamovie was chosen among the 36 finalists in SIME conference's Rising Star of the North -competition, finishing 23rd overall.
- Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning, the originating point for Wreckamovie
- Iron Sky, the first movie fully utilizing Wreckamovie
- Collaborative software
- Collective intelligence
- Viral marketing
- Web 2.0
- "www.Wreckamovie.com/Guidelines". Star Wreck Studios Oy Ltd. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "www.Wreckamovie.com/Contact". Star Wreck Studios Oy Ltd. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "http://www.Wreckamovie.com/FAQ". Star Wreck Studios Oy Ltd. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "http://www.Wreckamovie.com/About". Star Wreck Studios Oy Ltd. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "Suomalainen verkkopalvelu elokuvien tekemiseen esiteltiin Cisco Expossa (engl. A Finnish internet service for producing movies introduced at Cisco Expo)". Suomen tietotoimisto (STT). Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "Finnish Cannes Wrecking Campaign Pays". Nordisk Film & TV Fond. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "MindTrek Competition 2008". mindtrek.org/2008/. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- Veera Jussila. "Star Wreckin seuraaja syntyy nettiyhteisössä". Tekniikka & Talous. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- Jenna Wortham (2008-05-07). "Space Nazis Attack in Sci-Fi Spoof Iron Sky". Wired.com. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "Productions listed on Wreckamovie". Wreckamovie. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "The winner of the MindTrek Grand Prix 2008". mindtrek.org/2008/. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "http://www.wreckamovie.com/productions/wreck-a-movie-platform/news/305". Star Wreck Studios Oy. Retrieved 2009-10-29.