Wrestling From Marigold
|Wrestling From Marigold|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||90/120 minutes|
|Original run||September 17, 1949– March 1955|
Wrestling From Marigold is an American sports program broadcast from the Marigold Arena in Chicago which aired on the DuMont Television Network from Saturday, September 17, 1949 until March 1955. The show was either 90 or 120 minutes, usually on Saturdays at 9pm ET, and continued to be broadcast on WGN-TV as a non-network show until 1957.
The show was broadcast live by WGN from Marigold in Chicago, produced by National Wrestling Alliance promoter Fred Kohler, with play-by-play by Jack Brickhouse and Vince Lloyd as announcer. Lloyd also did live commercials for products such as Aero Shave. This was the last network TV broadcast of wrestling in the US until Saturday Night's Main Event on NBC in 1985.
About 10 episodes of wrestling on DuMont are in the collection of the UCLA Film and Television Archive. Four are titled Pro Wrestling From Chicago and may be from this series. However, it is unclear if the others are from the Marigold in Chicago, or Wrestling From Columbia Park, or some other DuMont series.
- List of programs broadcast by the DuMont Television Network
- List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts
- 1949-50 United States network television schedule
- Boxing From St. Nicholas Arena last series to air on DuMont network
- David Weinstein, The Forgotten Network: DuMont and the Birth of American Television (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004) ISBN 1-59213-245-6
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, Fourth edition (New York: Penguin Books, 1980) ISBN 0-14-024916-8
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows, Third edition (New York: Ballantine Books, 1964) ISBN 0-345-31864-1