|Frequency||8 per year|
|Based in||Cincinnati, Ohio|
Writer's Digest is owned by F+W Media, which publishes the annual edition of Writer's Market, a guide containing a list of paying markets — magazines, publishing houses, and contests — as well as an index and tips for the beginning writers. The magazine is published eight times per year.
Writer's Digest partnered with book publisher BookBaby, the sister company of CD Baby, in August 2014, to create a self-publishing division called Blue Ash Publishing, to provide instruction and education alongside book publishing and printing services. Blue Ash Publishing takes its name from the home office of the Writer’s Digest editorial team located in Blue Ash, Ohio.
Writer's Digest was established in 1920 under the name Successful Writing, first issue, December. It changed name to Writer's Digest with the March 1921 issue. By the late 1920s, it shifted emphasis more from literary-quality writing to the rapidly growing pulp magazine field, which offered the widest opportunities to freelance writers. An important feature from 1933 forward was the New York Market Letter, edited by Harriet Bradfield, which gave timely updates on editor needs in the magazine field. As the pulp field collapsed in the 1950s, Writer's Digest shifted emphasis to famous writers and quality fiction.
Annual grand prize winners
- 2003 Michele Bardsley "A Mother Scorned" (short story)
- 2004 J. K. Mason "My Own Avatar" (short story)
- 2005 Nancy Tupper Ling "White Birch" (poem)
- 2006 Mary Feuer "House on Fire" (short story)
- 2007 Eros-Alegra Clarke "Salamander Prayer" (memoir)
- 2008 Jacob Appel "The Mistress of Wholesome" (drama)
- 2009 John Moir "Condors in a Coal Mine" (non-fiction)
- 2010 Julie L. Moran "Lunch With Debbie" (short story)
- 2013 Dan J. Fiore "Masks" (short story)
- Locke, John; editor. Pulp Fictioneers: Adventures in the Storytelling Business, Adventure House, 2004. ISBN 978-1-886937-83-3.
- Sexton, Philip; editor. Legends of Literature: The Best Essays, Interviews and Articles from the Archives of Writer's Digest Magazine, Writer's Digest Books, 2007. ISBN 1-58297-473-X.
- Locke, John; editor. Pulpwood Days: Volume 1: Editors You Want to Know, Off-Trail Publications, 2007. ISBN 978-0-9786836-2-7.
- Writer's Digest magazine
- Writers Online Workshop, from Writer's Digest magazine
- Writer's Digest Writing Conference, from Writer's Digest magazine
- Blue Ash Publishing