Written in the Stars (Tinie Tempah song)
|"Written in the Stars"|
|Single by Tinie Tempah featuring Eric Turner|
|from the album Disc-Overy|
|Released||19 September 2010|
|Label||Parlophone, Disturbing London Records|
|Writer(s)||Eshraque Mughal, Patrick Okogwu, Eric Turner, Charlie Bernardo|
|Tinie Tempah singles chronology|
"Written in the Stars" is the third single by English rapper Tinie Tempah, featuring American singer Eric Turner. Unlike his two prior breakthrough singles which were produced by Labrinth, the track instead features production by iSHi. It was released in September 2010 through Parlophone records, digitally on the iTunes Store. It serves as the third official single from his debut album Disc-Overy. The song debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart, becoming Tinie Tempah's second number-one single in the United Kingdom. The song was released as Tempah's debut U.S. single, and has peaked at No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100. The track also marks Tinie's first Top 10 hit on the Billboard Pop Chart.
"Written in the Stars" was used by Major League Baseball for their commercials relating to the 2011 Major League Baseball Postseason. It was also chosen by WWE as its theme song for WrestleMania XXVII. Recently, it was used as the introduction to the eighth season of the South Asian Softball League. Since the 2011-12 season, it has been used as the theme song for Sky Sports' coverage of Premier League football. Samples of "Written in the Stars" can be heard in promos used for the USA Network sports-drama Necessary Roughness. The song was chosen as Miss USA 2011 Evening Gown Competition's background music. The New York Giants used the song as their entrance song in Super Bowl XLVI on 5 February 2012. It was also used in the closing ceremonies of the London Olympic Games in August 2012.
"Written in the Stars" was written by "iSHi", Mughal, Tempah, Turner and Charlie Bernardo and produced by iSHi and James Perolls . Tinie Tempah first revealed the song on 17 June 2010 performing it live on Sony Ericsson's Pocket TV along with "Frisky". Tempah said "Written in the Stars it is a real passionate track about the sort of struggle that I've had to face. You know I just really feel it as something to perform at festivals as well so I thought I might as well get my practice and start warming up now." The song was released on 27 September 2010, followed by Disc-Overy on 4 October 2010.
Robert Copsey of Digital Spy Blog gave the song a very positive review:
Tempah makes abundantly clear on single number three that success wasn't handed to him on a platinum dinnerware set marked 'Doulton'. Au contraire, it was an exhausting journey of "believing and praying" in a dream that, for a time, "wasn't going nowhere" – and with his ear-snagging rhymes cloaked in a stadium-sized chorus courtesy of US newbie Eric Turner, we're all going to hear about it whether we want to or not. Oh Tinie, we'll never doubt your work hard, play hard mentality again. .
The official music video was directed by Alex Herron and was released on YouTube by Parlophone on 13 August 2010, along with a 43-second trailer of the video three days before. The video, shot in New York City, features Tinie Tempah standing and rapping on the roof while Eric Turner is sitting on the piano in a white room playing the chorus. The narrative scenes see a young boy whose life is shaped by the fact he and his mother are subjected to a financially insecure life and he is regularly bullied by his peers and how he is consumed with his book. After an interview with Virgin Media, the rapper claimed the boy 'not to be his younger self in the tennis courts'- he was trying to portray the life of a city boy. It made its US Premiere from 1 February 2011.
On 13 September 2010, "Written in the Stars" debuted on the New Zealand Singles Chart at number 22, beating "Pass Out", which peaked at number 33 on the chart in March 2010. It later peaked at number 16. The single also managed to chart in Switzerland, where it debuted at number 71 on 26 September 2010, Tempah's first single to make an impact in the country. On 3 October 2010, the track charted at No. 1 in the UK Singles Chart and UK R&B Chart, beating "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars and "Let the Sun Shine" by Labrinth, making "Written in the Stars" Tinie Tempah's second number 1 in the UK after "Pass Out". "Written in the Stars" sold over 115,000 copies in its first week alone, which at that point of the year was a first week figure surpassed only by California Gurls by Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg (124,000) and the charity single Everybody Hurts by Helping Haiti (over 450,000). In the European Hot 100, the song debuted at number 5, the highest debut of the week. In January 2011, the single reached a peak position of number 34 and was certified Platinum in Australia. The song became Tinie Tempah's first song to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, debuting at number 91 for the week ending 5 March 2011 and peaking at number 12.
- Digital download
- "Written in the Stars" (Album Version) – 3:40
- Digital EP
- "Written in the Stars" (Album Version) – 3:39
- "Written in the Stars" (Instrumental) – 3:39
- "Written in the Stars" (The Arcade Southside Remix) (feat. Taio Cruz) – 3:33
- Promotional CD single
- "Written in the Stars" (Radio Edit) – 3:33
- "Written in the Stars" (Album Version) – 3:40
- "Written in the Stars" (Instrumental) – 3:39
- "Written in the Stars" (Remix) (Feat. Ryan Tedder) – 3:40
Chart procession and succession
"Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
3 October 2010 – 9 October 2010
"FU!" by Cee Lo Green
In popular culture
In 2012, parody of the video was made by the cast and crew of ITV soap opera Emmerdale in honour of the departure of character Aaron Livesy, played by Danny Miller, who is a big fan of the song. The role of Tinie Tempah was played by Adam Thomas, who plays Adam Barton (Aaron's best friend in the soap), and the role of Eric Turner was played by Kelvin Fletcher, who plays Andy Sugden. The video features many well-known Emmerdale actors such as Emma Atkins, Jeff Hordley, Lucy Pargeter, Sammy Winward, Nicola Wheeler and veteran actor Freddie Jones.
|Switzerland||19 September 2010||Digital download||Parlophone|
|United Kingdom||24 September 2010|
|United States||18 January 2011||Capitol Records|
- List of number-one singles of 2010 (Ireland)
- List of number-one singles from the 2010s (UK)
- List of number-one R&B hits of 2010 (UK)
- "Tinie Tempah Feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars (CD)". Discogs. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "WWE Superstars: July 7, 2011". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "YouTube: I'm On My Way". South Asian Softball League. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "Starting Over – Music Video". USA Network. Retrieved 23 July 2011.
- "Music Week – Music Week – Music business magazine – Song of The Week: Written in the Stars". Music Week. 4 October 2010. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- "Written in the Stars by Tinie Tempah". SongFacts.com. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Robert Copsey. "Tinie Tempah: 'Written in the Stars'". Digital Spy.
- "Written In the Stars (feat. Eric Turner) – EP". Itunes.apple.com. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- Top 50 Singles Chart Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars" (in French). Ultratip.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201049 into search.
- "Tinie Tempah – Written in the Stars Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten.
- "Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner: Written in the Stars" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 26 March 2011.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Tinie Tempah search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars". VG-lista.
- "Top 20 NielsenRomania Week 03.01.2011 – 09.01.2011". Webcitation.org. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201040 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars". Singles Top 60.
- "Tinie Tempah feat. Eric Turner – Written in the Stars – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "October 2010/ Archive Chart" UK R&B Chart.
- "October 2010/ Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "Tinie Tempah Music News & Info". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "2010 Year-end UK Singles". BBC (BBC Online). 26 December 2010. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- "Top 50 Singles Chart – Australian Record Industry Association". Ariacharts.com.au. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA): Gold & Platinum – January 2005". Cria.ca. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Latest Gold / Platinum Singles". Radioscope. 17 July 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24.
- "Trofe Oversikt" (in Norwegian). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry of Norway. Archived from the original on 18 January 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Recording Industry Association of America". RIAA. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- The Mend, Britain's Got Talent 2012 Semi-final performance. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Cj7r-_R5U.
- "iTunes – Music – Written In the Stars (feat. Eric Turner) – EP by Tinie Tempah". Itunes.apple.com. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Connecting to the iTunes Store". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2012-05-21.