Wuhan Institute of Physical Education
|Wuhan Institute of Physical Education|
|Motto||公勇诚毅 学思辨行 (Chinese)|
|Established||October 18, 1953|
|President||Prof. Sun Yiliang|
|Location||Wuhan, Hubei, People's Republic of China|
|Campus||Urban, 1,375 mu (亩)|
Wuhan Institute of Physical Education (WIPE; simplified Chinese: 武汉体育学院; traditional Chinese: 武漢體育學院; pinyin: Wǔhàn Tǐyù Xuéyuàn) is a tertiary educational institution in China. According to the statistics released by the Ministry of Education of China, the WIPE is one of the four leading universities in the physical education area in China. WIPE has many world famous alumni, such as gymnast Cheng Fei, who won more than 19 gold medals including an Olympic one. And this can be better illustrated during Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, when WIPE alumni alone won 6 gold medals, 2 silver medals and 3 bronze medals.
WIPE is located in Hubei Province's capital Wuhan, known as "the thoroughfare leading to nine provinces". It has two campuses which are Majiazhuang Campus(Chinese: 马家庄校区; pinyin: Mǎjiāzhuāng Xiàoqū) and Canglong Campus.
The Wuhan Institute of Physical Education's origins can be traced back to Zhongnan Institute of Physical Education, in Nanchang City, Jiangxi province. The Zhongnan Institute was formed in 1953. Shortly after, in 1955, the institute moved to its present site in Wuhan, Hubei Province, and changed its name to the Wuhan Institute of Physical Education (WIPE) in February 1956. WIPE was formerly administered by the National General Administration of Sports and, now it turned to be under the administration of both the National General Administration of Sports and the Hubei Provincial Government in the year 2001. In the year 1985, WIPE started its first art major; Sport Management. Since then several other art majors emerged, such as sport psychology, sport English and so forth， till the newest Sport Advertising. And this is a quintessence of ongoing reform of Tertiary educational institutions in China, whose aim is to combine USSR-style specific school into comprehensive institution.
WIPE now has 8 colleges, 2 faculties, 3 departments and 2 schools, 15 educational and teaching units in total. The names of these units are listed as follow:
- Physical Education College(体育教育学院)
- Sports Training College（运动训练学院）
- Chinese Martial Arts College（武术学院）
- Gymnastics College（体育艺术学院）
- Sports Economy & Management College（体育经济管理学院）
- Health Science College or College of Health Science (健康科学学院)
- Competitive Sports School（竞技体育学院）
- Adult Education School(成教学院)
- Sports Information & Technology Faculty（体育信息技术系）
- Sports Journalism & Foreign Language Faculty(体育新闻与外语系)
- the Postgraduate Department（研究生部）
- Political Theory Department(政治理论课部)
- Training Department（培训部）
Since 2006, WIPE launched its 3+1 cooperative education project with University of the West of England. Students enrolled as its "3+1" project participants will study at Wuhan for the first 3 years and then go to UWE for the last year of study. In autumn semester of 2009, the first 15 students participated in the 3+1 project in 2006 were sent to UWE. WIPE was largely aimed for education of undergraduate level, and its graduate school, though famous in a time during 1980s, was increasingly eclipsed by Beijing Sports University. However, in 2006, WIPE was authorized for the conferment of doctor's degree; and in August 2010, Ministry of Education listed WIPE as one of universities whose students can enrol directly in graduate school without taking exams.
In the year 2009, the fixed assets of WIPE is about 760 million yuan. Throughout the Majiazhuang Campus, there are 12 dormitory buildings, and is constructing the 13th one.
WIPE's indoor swimming pool, constructed in 1984 and put into service since 1986, is a combination of public and competition pool. The pool is maintained in constant temperature. It was then the largest swimming pool in China equipped with solar heating system, which were able to heat 70 tons of hot water daily according to its original design. Affiliated to and overseen by teaching and researching section of swimming in WIPE, the Swimming pool have been run by a private contractor., especially in summer. Athletes here have competed in different level of swimming event as well as less publicized fin swimming competition, having attained phenomenal accomplishments such as 10 world champions. There were 6 world records, 4 Asian records and 5 national records kept here.
Recently criticisms arose in the local media concerning the health regulation in swimming pool, including WIPE's natatorium. Critics said local swimming pools lacked proper sanitation of water, and inadequately checked Health Certificate of visitors as was required by law. One of the employees here contended that
Roughly Translated as: With limited wherewithal, a doctor can't be afforded; moreover, according to intra-industry hidden rules, there is no need of Health Certificate beforehand to swim.
WIPE has a total staff of 812, of which over 500 are professional teachers and trainers. This includes over 60 are professors, researchers and national trainers; 165 are associate professors; 3 posts are for Chutian Scholar visiting professors; 10 are Hubei Outstanding Contributions Experts; 10 experts get the subsidy of the State Council and provincial government. In the teachers, 13.8% have doctor degree, 49.8% have master or higher degree. On October 2009, Prof.Walter Brehm, the dean of the Sport Institute of University of Bayreuth of Germany, was provided a visiting professor tenure.
At WIPE, there are all kinds of indoors and outdoors sports buildings, classrooms buildings, and advanced research facilities. Furthermore, books in the library are up to more than 800,000 volumes.
- "武汉体育学院简介(Introduction of WIPE)". 武汉体育学院官方网站（Official Website）. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "学科发展：打赢"质""量"双保卫战". 武汉体院报 (337). 2009-03-15. p. 1.
- 体育院校排名 Ranking of PE institutes(in chinese)
- Barboza, David (2008). "A Life of Sacrifice for a Vault of Gold". The New York Times. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "武汉体育学院：一所高等体育学府的光荣与梦想". 中国体育报(China Sports Daily). 2008-09-25. Retrieved 13 October 2010.
- "曲折中前进——访四次党代会亲历者徐京放". 武汉体院报 (337). 2009-03-15. p. 2.
- "武汉体育学院全国首开体育广告专业(WIPE leads the country in setting a new major: Sport Advertising)". 楚天都市报(Chutian Metro Daily). 2010-09-03. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- 我校首批“3+1”学子远赴英伦求学(The first crop of "3+1" students of our school departed for their study at UK ). Wuhan Institute of Physical Education official website. 2009-09-28. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- 杨鹏飞院长在申博成功庆祝大会上的讲话. Wuhan Institute of Physical Education official website. 2006-02-27. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- 我校获批为具有推荐优秀应届本科毕业生免试攻读硕士研究生资格的院校. Wuhan Institute of Physical Education official website. 2010-08-19. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "基础建设：校园格局进一步优化(Infrastructure Construction: Further Optimizing the Campus Layout)". 武汉体院报 (337). 2009-03-15. p. 1.
- 景兴, 陆 (1984). "武汉体育学院太阳能游泳馆". 华中建筑（Huazhong Architecture） 1. CNKI:SUN:HZJZ.0.1984-01-002. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "我国最大的太阳能游泳馆在湖北武汉体育学院落成". Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "武汉体育学院游泳馆对外承租招标公告(Tender notice)". Wuhan Institute of Physical Education official website. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- "武汉体育学院游泳馆". Official website of WIPE natatorium. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- ""持健康证入游泳馆"成一纸空文（Visiting Swimming pool with Health Certificate Became Empty phrase）". 楚天都市报(Chutian Metro Daily). 2010-08-15. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- ""持健康证入游泳馆"为何难实行？(Why was "visiting swimming pool with health certificate" hard to be enacted?)". 楚天都市报（Chutian Metro Daily）. 2010-08-17. Retrieved 2010-08-31.
- 德国拜罗伊特大学体育科学学院Walter Brehm教授受聘为我校客座教授 (in Chinese). Wuhan Institute of Physical Education official website. 2009-10-14. Retrieved 2009-10-14.