Part on the left dates to the 18th century, part on the right is of the 17th century
|Location||5816 Clarendon Road, Brooklyn, NY It is located in Milton Fidler Park|
|NRHP Reference #||67000013|
|Added to NRHP||December 24, 1967|
|Designated NHL||December 24, 1967|
The Wyckoff House, or Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House is located at 5816 Clarendon Road in the Canarsie area of Brooklyn. The house itself is located in Milton Fidler Park. The house is estimated to have been built in 1652, it is the oldest surviving example of a Dutch saltbox frame house in America, and was one of the first structures built by Europeans on Long Island. The majority of the current structure was added in the 19th century, with the small kitchen section dating back to the 18th century. Only a small section remains from 1652.
It is on land that Wouter van Twiller purchased from the local Lenape people in approximately 1636. (Europeans often referred to the native inhabitants simply by the Lenape language place name for the larger area: "Canarsie", in this case)
It is owned by New York City but is operated by The Wyckoff House & Association.
It is believed that every person with the name Wyckoff (or its variations) has descended from Pieter (Claessen) Wyckoff from this house. Pieter Claessen was forced to change his surname sometime after 1664 and chose "Wyckoff." At that time there were no other known Wyckoffs. There are some 60 known variations of the name that appeared between 1790 and 1900 (after which, no new variations appeared).
- Wyckoff-Bennett Homestead, another historic house in Brooklyn
- List of the oldest buildings in New York
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Wyckoff House". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. 2007-09-19.
- Patricia Heintzelman (1975-10-11). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Wyckoff House" (pdf). National Park Service. and PDF (2.55 MB)
- "Wyckoff Farmhouse Museum". The Historic House Trust of New York City. 2014-04-13.
- The Wyckoff House & Association website
|This article about a historic property or district in Brooklyn, New York that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Brooklyn is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|