Wye Mills, Maryland
The town also harbors Maryland's first regional community college, Chesapeake College.
Two important events have taken place, in part, in Wye Mills.
After the failure of the Oslo Accords of 1993 to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, former President Bill Clinton held a summit in Wye Mills in October 1998. Both King Hussein of Jordan and Palestinian President Yasser Arafat attended the summit. Several issues were settled, however some of the main issues, like boundaries, were left untouched and still are sources of conflict.
For a short time, Elián González and his family resided in Wye Mills during the Elián González affair of 2000. González was at the center of a controversy involving parental custody and Cuban-American relations. After Elián was reunited with his father, the two were sheltered from the media at the remote Wye Mills Plantation while other relatives attempt to acquire visitation rights and the legal battle intensified.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wye Mills, Maryland
- "Wye Grist Mill". Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "Old Wye Mill". Historic Sites Consortium of Queen Anne's County. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Weeks, Christopher (1984). Where Land and Water Interwine. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 45.
- Wye Accord
- "Breaking News: Elian Gonzalez Case: Father Files Motion Requesting Appeals Court Recognize Him as Only One Able to Speak For His Son," (rush transcript) CNN April 26, 2000.
|This Maryland state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|