Wynne High School
|Wynne High School|
|1300 North Falls Boulevard
Wynne, Arkansas, 72356
|School district||Wynne School District|
|NCES District ID||0514430|
|NCES School ID||051443001176|
|Vice principal||Steve Morris, Sandra Smith|
|Education system||Smart Core curriculum|
|Campus type||Town, distant|
|Athletics conference||5A East (2012–14)|
Arkansas Department of Education
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association|
Wynne High School is a public secondary school for students in grades nine through twelve located in Wynne, Arkansas, United States. It is one of two public high schools in Cross County and the sole high school administered by the Wynne School District.
Wynne High School is accredited by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) and has been accredited by AdvancED since 1927. The assumed course of study follows the Smart Core curriculum developed by the ADE. Students complete regular (core and career focus) courses and exams and may select Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams that provide an opportunity for college credit.
The Wynne High School mascot and athletic emblem is the Yellowjacket with the school colors of blue and gold.
The Wynne Yellowjackets participate in numerous interscholastic sports and events in the 5A-East Conference administered by the Arkansas Activities Association including: baseball, basketball (boys/girls), cheer, cross country (boys/girls), dance, football, golf (boys/girls), soccer (boys), softball, tennis (boys/girls), track (boys/girls), and volleyball.
The Yellowjackets football team are four-time state football champions by winning titles in 1950, 1986, 2001 and 2004. In 2013, the school retired the No. 34 jersey of NFL running back and Wynne alumnus DeAngelo Williams who ran for 2,204 yards and 34 touchdowns in 2001.
The Yellowjackets softball team are two-time state champions, picking up titles in 2009 and 2011. They were the state runner-up in 2010.
Clubs and traditions
Wynne students are provided opportunities to participate in programs such as African American Achievers, National Honor Society, National Beta Club, Drama Club, Arkansas Governor's School, Key Club, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), Quiz Bowl, SkillsUSA, Health Occupations Students of America, and Student Council.
- Ronald R. Caldwell (Class of 1969), Republican member of the Arkansas State Senate from District 23, including Cross County
- DeAngelo Williams
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Wynne School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Wynne High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- "School Profile, Wynne High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- "Institution Summary, Wynne High School". AdvancED. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "Carolina Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams has high school jersey retired". MaxPreps.com. September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.