Wyoming Highway 89
|Maintained by WYDOT|
|Length:||55.84 mi (89.87 km)|
|South end:|| I-80 / US 189
WYO 150 in Evanston
| SR-16 at Utah - Wyoming State Line
SR-30 at Utah - Wyoming State Line
|North end:||SH-61 at Idaho - Wyoming State Line near Geneva, Idaho|
Wyoming Highway 89 has two different segments to its route. The first starts at I-80/US 189 (Exit 5) and Wyoming Highway 150 in Evanston. (The roadway continues south of I-80/US 189 as WYO 150 to the Utah border). From Exit 5, WYO 89 heads north as Front Street into downtown Evanston. At 0.44 miles (0.71 km), Highway 89 turns north onto Highway 89 north. From here, WYO 89 runs concurrent for a short distance with I-80 Business/US 189 Business until it intersects Bear River Drive where the business routes turn east. As Highway 89 leaves Evanston behind the roadway heads northwest. The highway passes through the former coal mining camp of Almy and reaches the Town of Bear River just before reaching the Utah state line. Bear River is one of Wyoming's newest towns, being incorporated in 2001. Just after leaving Bear River, WYO 89 temporarily ends at Utah State Route 16.
WYO 89 via UT 16 & UT 30
The roadway continues as Utah SR-16. SR 16 intersects Utah SR-39 in Woodruff, Utah at 10.51 miles (16.91 km) from its start at WYO 89. Utah SR-16 ends at Utah SR-30 in Sage Creek Junction, Utah at 29.36 miles (47.25 km). Utah SR-30 'East' takes you back to the Utah-Wyoming State Line, where at 33.00 miles (53.11 km), SR-30 ends and WYO 89 resumes.
The northern segment of Wyoming Highway 89 begins at Utah State Route 30 at the Utah-Wyoming state line west of Sage, Wyoming. WYO 89 travels northeast to US 30 at Sage. Here, WYO 89 turns north to join US 30 as it heads north
US 30/WYO 89
WYO 89 runs concurrent with US 30 for almost 30 miles (48 km) from Sage through Cokeville, north to one-half mile east of the Idaho-Wyoming state line. This section is also known as the Emigrant Trail. At 36.11 miles (58.11 km), US 30/WYO 89 intersects WYO 231 (E. Main St.) and WYO 232 in the Town of Cokeville. From there WYO 89 continues with US 30 north. At 46.51 miles (74.85 km), WYO 89 ends its concurrency with US 30 near Border, Idaho.
US 30 to ID 61
Wyoming Highway 89 heads north from U.S. Route 30 as it continues westward. WYO 89 then travels north for approximately 10 miles (16 km), closely paralleling the Idaho-Wyoming state line until it finally crosses it and finally ends near Geneva, Idaho.
ID 61 to US 89
According to an original network map of Wyoming State Highways in 1924, this route was defined as Wyoming Highway 65. With the introduction of US routes in 1926, the route between Cokeville and Star Valley was renamed Wyoming Highway 89, while the section south of Sage remained designated as WYO 65. This was done in the hopes that US 89 would be extended north into Wyoming. US 89 was extended in 1936 along old Wyoming 287. Wyoming Highway 89 was recommissioned as Wyoming Highway 91 to avoid confusion between the two highways, while Highway 65 kept its original number. However, within a few years, US 89 was rerouted to its current route in Utah and Idaho, and US 189 was created along old Wyoming 287. As a result, Wyoming recommissioned Wyoming Highway 89 over both WYO 65 and WYO 91.
- Wyoming 89 jumps in and out of Wyoming three times, and it almost crosses a fourth and fifth time. It maintains its number in Wyoming, but it is known as Utah State Route 16, Utah State Route 30, and Idaho State Highway 61 when it leaves the state.
- The only other routes that jump in and out of the state include:
- Wyoming Highway 89 follows State Control Route 10 for its entire length.
||Evanston||0.0||0.0|| I-80 / US 189
WYO 150 south
|Southern Terminus of WYO 89
Exit 5 (I-80/US 189)
Begin south section
I-80 Bus. / US 189 Bus.
|Southern end overlap I-80 BUS/US 189 BUS|
I-80 Bus. / US 189 Bus.
|Northern end overlap I-80 BUS/US 189 BUS|
|Utah - Wyoming State Line
near Bear River, WY
|12.58||20.25||SR-16||Continuation into Utah
End south section
||Woodruff||10.51*||10.51*||SR-39||(WYO 89 via UT SR 16 & UT SR 30)|
|Sage Creek Junction||29.36*||29.36*||SR-30|
|Utah - Wyoming State Line
west of Sage, WY
|33.0*||33.0*||WYO 89||Begin north section|
||near Sage||16.71||26.89||US 30||South end overlap US 30|
|Cokeville||36.11||58.11||WYO 231 west / WYO 232 east|
|near Border, ID||46.51||74.85||US 30 west / WYO 89 north||North end overlap US 30|
|Idaho - Wyoming State Line
near Geneva, ID
|55.84||89.87||SH-61||Northern Terminus of WYO 89
Continuation into Idaho
End north section
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- AARoads.com - Wyoming Routes 000-099
- Yahoo Maps. Overview Map of Wyoming Highway 89 (South) (Map). http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=41.339578&lon=-111.009119&zoom=12&q1=41.262201%2C-110.954434&q2=41.414867%2C-111.046713. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- Google Maps. Overview Map of Wyoming Highway 89 (south) (Map). http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Front+St&daddr=WY-89+N&hl=en&geocode=FSOcdQIdAfhi-Q%3BFQ7udwIdK5Jh-Q&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=41.413365,-111.046318&sspn=0.003717,0.009645&ie=UTF8&ll=41.354649,-111.065598&spn=0.238124,0.617294&z=11. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- Yahoo Maps. Overview Map of WYO 89 via Utah SR-16/Utah SR-30 (Map). http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=41.615833&lon=-110.922258&zoom=10&q1=41.414803%2C-111.046884&q2=41.779639%2C-111.046541. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- Yahoo Maps. Overview Map of Wyoming Highway 89 (north) (Map). http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=42.10517&lon=-110.897796&zoom=10&q1=41.779639%2C-111.046884&q2=41.815983%2C-110.983026&q3=42.085426%2C-110.948522&q4=42.213078%2C-111.042679&q5=42.351002%2C-111.047313. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- Official 2003 State Highway Map of Wyoming
- Wyoming State Routes
- WYO 89 - ID 61/Idaho State Line to US 30
- WYO 89 - US 30 to WYO 231/WYO 232
- WYO 89 - WYO 231/WYO 232 to US 30
- WYO 89 - US 30 to SR-30/Utah State Line
- WYO 89 - SR-16/Utah State Line to I-80 BUS/US 189 BUS
- WYO 89 - I-80 BUS/US 189 to I-80/US 189/WYO 150