University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust
|University Hospital of South Manchester|
|University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Wythenshawe Hospital, Baguley, Wythenshawe, M23 9LT, Manchester, England|
|Care system||NHS & South Manchester Healthcare Limited|
|Affiliated university||University of Manchester|
|Emergency department||Level 1 Trauma Center|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust (UHSM) or Wythenshawe Hospital runs a major acute teaching hospital in Wythenshawe, south Manchester, England. Many of the services and facilities previously at Withington Hospital were transferred to Wythenshawe in 2004. It provides services for adults and children at Wythenshawe Hospital and Withington Community Hospital (the latter formerly owned by Manchester PCT). It runs Buccleuch Lodge Intermediate Care Unit and the Dermot Murphy Centre in Withington, and the Specialised Ability Centre in Sharston in partnership with the prosthetic limb company Opcare.
The former South Manchester University Hospital Trust was authorised as a Foundation Trust in November 2006.
Its fields of specialist expertise include cutting edge cardiac services based in the new North West Heart Centre .
The hospital has occupied a leading position in UK interventional cardiology, cardiac imaging, cardiac electrophysiology and cardiothoracic surgery for over four decades. One of only six UK heart and lung transplantation centres, it is now developing a rapidly evolving Ventricular Assist Device programme. Further nationally recognised departments include respiratory medicine, burns and plastics, as well as cancer and breast care services. The hospital is also recognised in the region and nationally for the quality of its teaching, research and development. Major research programmes focus on cancer, lung disease, wound management and medical education.
UHSM has approximately 5,500 staff, including those employed by its private finance initiative partner South Manchester Healthcare Limited. It was the first hospital in the NHS to go from 0 ratings to 3 stars, after the introduction of a new system rating hospitals. UHSM is top in the North West when it comes to patient satisfaction, and 6th best in the country. In October 2010 it got the best ratings in Greater Manchester in a survey conducted by the Manchester Evening News.
- 2008 assessment
According to the Healthcare Commission assessment in 2008, it was one of a few trusts in the North West to achieve 'excellent' ratings for both parts of the study, both use of resources and quality of services. It also scored as follows in other parts of the report:
• 12/13 for safety and cleanliness
• 10/13 for waiting to be seen
• 5/5 for keeping the public healthy
• 9/9 for standard of care
• 9/10 for dignity and respect
• 17/17 for good management
Private finance initiative
The 35 year private finance initiative contract for Wythenshawe Hospital, signed in 1998, was one of the earliest in the NHS and provided for stepped payments - charges were low initially but rise steeply between 2015 and 2023 falling again in the last 10 years of the contract. This has put the Trust under considerable financial pressure and a financial recovery plan has been imposed by Monitor. In June 2014 the Trust was forced to borrow £25 million from the Department of Health in order to meet the increased repayment.
The present Wythenshawe Hospital developed on the site of the former Baguley Sanatorium which opened on October 4, 1902. It became a 150-bed sanatorium for the sole treatment of TB patients in 1912. The idea of Wythenshawe Hospital was initially discussed in 1939. An Emergency Medical Services hospital - consisting of rows of wooden huts - was constructed and used to treat soldiers who had been injured or burned. This was the foundation of the hospital's specialisation in burns and plastic surgery. The hospital was substantially developed in the 1960s as part of Enoch Powell's 1962 Hospital Plan.
- "Facts and figures - the daily life of UHSM".
- "NHS Choices - Wythenshawe Hospital".
- "Healthcare Knowledge - WYTHENSHAWE HOSPITAL".
- "Campaign to save Wythenshawe Hospital's cystic fibrosis services calls on YOUR help". Mancunian Matters. 1 September 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Survey results: What YOU think of the NHS after boss outlines his vision for the health service". Manchester Evening News. 24 October 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "HCC report - Wythenshawe Hospital".
- "Probe launched into University Hospital of South Manchester finances". BBC. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Manchester trust secures £25m loan to support PFI debts". Health Service Journal. 24 June 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Memorandum by South Manchester University Hospitals NHS Trust". Select Committee on Health Minutes of Evidence. House of Commons. 15 May 2002. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Wythenshawe WS (includes history of Baguley Sanatorium)". Retrieved 3 December 2009.
- "History of UHSM". University Hospital of South Manchester. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- Rivett, Geoffrey. hospital plan23 "Hospital Development : 1948-1968". Retrieved 28 September 2014.