|Single by Green Day|
|from the album ¡Tre!|
|Released||February 12, 2013|
|Format||Promo CD, digital download|
|Recorded||February 14Oakland, California–June 26, 2012 at Jingletown Studios in|
|Genre||Pop punk, alternative rock|
|Label||Reprise, Warner Bros.|
|Writer(s)||Billie Joe Armstrong / Green Day|
|Producer||Rob Cavallo and Green Day|
|Green Day singles chronology|
Background and release
"X-Kid" was released as a single on February 12, 2013. On December 19, 2012, a video was released to Green Day's official YouTube channel showing "X-Kid" playing on a cassette tape.
Theme and composition
A sample of "X-Kid".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
“X-Kid” from ¡Tré! deals with the suicide of a close friend of the band’s. “I don’t really want to get into it,” Armstrong says. “It’s too heavy.”
This song was written in response to the 2009 suicide of a close friend that Armstrong grew up with in Rodeo, CA. However, the song is as much about the entire "Generation X" (those born from roughly 1960-1980) as it is about this one specific tragedy. Billie Joe has repeatedly identified himself as an "Ex-Kid" in recent interviews. The narrator is able to relate to his late friend, in that they were both "Ex/X-kids." But, he was able to push through the struggles that came with growing older, while his friend was not. His friend, unfortunately, found an escape in suicide, thus the line "Here goes nothing, the shouting's over." The narrator sees facets of himself in his late friend. He feels as if, sadly, there wasn't much that could have been done to help his friend, though he wishes someone could have found a way to help him before it was too late.
|Canada: Active Rock (America's Music Chart)||18|
|US Mainstream Rock Tracks (Billboard)||23|
|US Rock Songs (Billboard)||48|
|US Alternative Songs (Billboard)||35|
- YouTube (2012-12-19). "Green Day - "X-Kid" - Album: ¡TRE!". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- Tré Review. "Tré Review". the A.V. Club. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Interview: Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong on '¡Uno!,' '¡Dos!' and '¡Tre!' - Page 2". Guitar World. 2012-11-12. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- "X-Kid by Green Day - Lyrics, song meaning and info". Greendayauthority.com. 2012-12-11. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- Reviewed by Ray Rahman (2013-01-09). "Tre! - review - Green Day Review | Music Reviews and News". EW.com. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- "X-Kid Chart". Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Green Day - Chart History". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Latest Music News, Band, Artist, Musician & Music Video News". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 19, 2013.
- https://twitter.com/chinanderm/status/306493102368116736 Retrieved 4th March 2013