|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
|Stable release||5.6.8 / April 21, 2015|
|Operating system||Cross-platform (Linux, Windows, Solaris, Mac OS X)|
|Type||WAMP, MAMP, SAMP, LAMP|
XAMPP (// or //) is a free and open source cross-platform web server solution stack package, consisting mainly of the Apache HTTP Server, MySQL database, and interpreters for scripts written in the PHP and Perl programming languages.
XAMPP's name is an acronym for:
Requirements and features
XAMPP requires only one zip, tar, 7z, or exe file to be downloaded and run, and little or no configuration of the various components that make up the web server is required. XAMPP is regularly updated to incorporate the latest releases of Apache, MySQL, PHP and Perl. It also comes with a number of other modules including OpenSSL and phpMyAdmin.
Self-contained, multiple instances of XAMPP can exist on a single computer, and any given instance can be copied from one computer to another.
It is offered in both a full, standard version and a smaller version.
Officially, XAMPP's designers intended it for use only as a development tool, to allow website designers and programmers to test their work on their own computers without any access to the Internet. To make this as easy as possible, many important security features are disabled by default. In practice, however, XAMPP is sometimes used to actually serve web pages on the World Wide Web. A special tool is provided to password-protect the most important parts of the package.
Once XAMPP is installed, it is possible to treat a localhost like a remote host by connecting using an FTP client. Using a program like FileZilla has many advantages when installing a content management system (CMS) like Joomla or WordPress. It is also possible to connect to localhost via FTP with an HTML editor.
The default FTP user is "newuser", the default FTP password is "wampp". The default MySQL user is "root" while there is no default MySQL password.
As of May 22nd 2015, the site apachefriends.org has been down. There has been no update on when the site will be active again.
XAMPP 5.6.8 for Windows and Linux, Mac OSX, including:
- Apache 2.4.12
- MySQL 5.6.24
- PHP 5.6.8
- phpMyAdmin 4.3.11
- OpenSSL 1.0.1l
- XAMPP Control Panel 3.2.1
- Webalizer 2.23-04
- Mercury Mail Transport System 4.63
- FileZilla FTP Server 0.9.41
- Tomcat 7.0.56 (with mod_proxy_ajp as connector)
- Strawberry Perl 7.0.56 Portable
Major Component Versions in XAMPP Releases
|XAMPP||Apache||MySQL||PHP 5||PHP 4|
- "Interview with Kai Seidler from the XAMPP project". MySQL AB. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- "apache friends - xampp for windows". Apachefriends.org. Retrieved 2008-12-19.
- "XAMPP for Linux". Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "Apache Friends". apache friends. 2015-04-21. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- Official website
- Interview with Kai Seidler from the XAMPP project — interview by Lenz Grimmer, MySQL
- Installing, Configuring, and Developing with XAMPP — article by Dalibor D. Dvorski, Skills Canada - Ontario