A glossy display is an electronic display with a glossy surface. In certain light environments glossy displays provide better color intensity and contrast ratios than matte displays. The primary disadvantage of these displays is their tendency to reflect any external light, often resulting in an undesirable glare.
|This section requires expansion. (April 2010)|
In controlled environments, such as darkened rooms, or rooms where all light sources are diffused glossy displays create more saturated colors, deeper blacks, brighter whites, and are sharper than matte displays. This is why supporters of glossy screens consider these types of displays more appropriate for viewing photographs and watching films. 
Because of the reflective nature of the display, in most lighting conditions which include direct light sources facing the screen, glossy displays create reflections which can be distracting to the user of the computer. This can be especially distracting to users working in an environment where the position of lights and windows is fixed, such as in an office, as these create unavoidable reflections on glossy displays.
Adverse health effects 
The image of light sources reflected in the screen can cause the human visual system to focus on that image which is usually at a much farther distance than the information shown on the screen. This competition between two images that can be focused may cause headache and other severe disturbances.
See also 
- Johnson, Joel. "LCD Monitors: Glossy vs. Matte". Popular Mechanics. April 2007. Retrieved December 3, 2007.
- Thatcher, Michelle. "Counter the glare on your glossy display". CNET. October 23, 2006. Retrieved December 3, 2007.
- "PixelBright LCDs". ScreenTek. Retrieved December 3, 2007.
- Glossy versus matte: fight! : From the News Desk at Ars Technica: a report of a Lenovo poll on matte vs. glossy LCDs by Jeremy Reimer, published Oct. 18, 2006.
- Matte vs Glossy Screens, Laptops, Monitors and other Computer Accessories : Matte and glossy display compared by a designer.
- Matte and Glossy Monitors – A Clear Difference : Explains the difference between Matte and Glossy screens.