XLRI- Xavier School of Management
|Motto||For The Greater Good|
|Type||Private business school|
|Chairman||H M Nerurkar|
|Location||Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India|
|Campus||Urban, 40 acres|
|Director||Fr E. Abraham.|
XLRI is a private graduate business school in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India. Established in 1949, XLRI is one of the oldest business schools in India. The school offers a full-time 2 year post graduate program in Business Management and Personnel Management & Industrial Relations (renamed as Human Resources Management in 2011), 1 year full-time General Management program (GMP), fellow doctoral programs (FPM) and many executive education programs. The college's GMP programme, started in 1997, was the first full-time one-year MBA program in India.
XLRI was founded in 1949, by Father Quinn Enright SJ, in the city of Jamshedpur. It was established with a vision to be a partner in the liberation and development journey of the independent India. Father Bill Tome lent a helping hand to Father Quinn Enright in this regards, and both of them together with other members of the Jesuit society brought the idea to fruition. XLRI began with courses for training trade union leaders in management practices in 1949. It introduced a two-year full-time course in Industrial Relations in 1953 and later on Business Management (BM) in 1966. In 1968, a part-time three-year programme in Business Management was introduced. Management Development Programme (MDP), an intensive short term programme for Middle & Senior level executives was introduced in 1969. A two-year full-time course in Personnel Management and Industrial Relations (PMIR) was introduced in 1985, which was soon followed by a Fellowship Programme in Management (FPM) in 1989. XLRI has expanded its wings, both nationally as well as internationally in the last decade. In the year 2000, it came up with a Three-year Executive Postgraduate programme in Business Management, in India & Dubai. Post 2002, it ventured into providing training to executives through satellite based live classrooms, in Business management and Human Resource management.
The Director is Father E. Abraham, the Dean of Academics is Dr. Pranabesh Ray and Fr. C L George, S.J is the Dean of Administration & Finance. The Chairman of the Board of Governors is Mr H M Nerurkar the Managing Director of Tata Steel. The other members of the board include Vineet Nayar (Vice Chairman & Joint Managing Director, HCL Technologies Ltd), Preetha Reddy (Managing Director, Apollo Hospitals) and AP Singh, IAS(Secretary, Department of Industries, GOJ, Ranchi). Former members of the XLRI board of governors include Ranjit Pandit (Chairman of McKinsey & Company).
|Business – India|
XLRI features consistently among the top 5 business schools of the country. In 2012 XLRI was ranked #4 among top 75 B-schools in India across Private and Government sector by Outlook India. Among other rankings, it was ranked #5 by the 2012 edition of CNBC-TV18' s Top B-Schools in India,#4 by the Business Today 50 best business schools of 2012,#3 by Business World  B Schools Unplugged.The PMIR (Personnel Management & Industrial Relations) programme has been selected as the best 'HR Course' in Asia-Pacific. The school has also been recognised for its research acumen by London Business School and ranked among top 5 research schools in India cutting across management and technical institutes.
Academic programs 
Following are the flagship (full-time residential MBA) programs offered:
- General Management Programme (GMP) - 15 months
- Business Management (BM) - 2 years
- Human Resource Management (HRM) - 2 years
The research program:
- Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) - 4 years
Following are the list of executive programs offered:
- Executive Fellow Programme in Management (Exec-FPM)
- Executive Post Graduate Programmes (Exec-PGP) in India, Dubai and Singapore - 3 years
- Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM)
- Post Graduate Certification in Agri-Business Management (PGCABM) - 6 months (Ikisan Ltd and XLRI - Joint management Program)
- Post Graduate Certification in Business Management (PGCBM) - 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (PGCLSCM) - 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Human Resource Management (PGCHRM)- 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Retail Management (PGCRM)- 12 months
- Post Graduate Certification in Sales & Marketing Management (PGCSMM)- 12 moths
- Executive Diploma Programme in Human Resource Management - 12 months
- Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM) in Singapore
- General Management Programme for Defence Personnel
- Management Development Programmes
- International Student Exchange Programme
Admission to the flagship programs is through XLRI's entrance test - XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test)and GMAT. After applying for XAT, the candidates have to individually apply to other member colleges which use XAT scores for their respective admissions. XLRI received more than 100000 applications in the year 2009. XLRI has 120 seats each in its two-year flagship programs - Business Management & Human Resource Management (erstwhile PMIR); and 120 seats in the one-year General Management Program (popularly known as GMP.
Human Resource Management (earlier PMIR) 
The Institute offers a two-year full-time Programme in Human Resource Management (earlier PMIR) on the completion of which, students are conferred with PGDHRM. The HRM course is the oldest and the most prestigious of the Institute's teaching programmes. The major thrust areas are Strategic HR Management, Human Resource Planning, Human Resource Information Systems, Selection, Performance Management, Training and Development, Compensation Administration, Labor laws, Competency development and fostering harmonious employer-employee relationships in the framework of state regulations.
Besides the courses directly related to HRM, the programme also includes a series of courses in various functional areas of management viz finance, marketing, strategy and operations. Being a specialized programme it does not provide for further specialization. Students choose an appropriate mix of elective courses according to their preferences. Graduates of this programme are qualified for executive positions in Human Resources Development, Personnel Management, HR consultants, industrial Relations, Labour Welfare and other related areas.
Business Management Programme 
XLRI offers a two-year full-time programme on Business Management, on the completion which, candidates are conferred with Postgraduate diploma in Business Management (PGDBM). Started in 1968, this programme is extremely prestigious and is rated as one of the finest of its kind in the country. The alumni of this programme currently occupy very significant positions in various industries, both in India and abroad.
The curriculum lays the foundation for a conceptual and analytical understanding of Indian and international business. XLRI's BM programme is designed to closely integrate current management theory and practice. The course imparts knowledge and fosters attitudes essential for the growth of students into competent, responsible managers. The course has an evolving programme content and is constantly updated to be in tune with the emerging trends.
General Management Programme 
GMP is a 15-months full-time residential program (i.e.; not meant for working executives). Candidates applying for General Management programme must hold a minimum of three years Bachelor's Degree from a recognized University in India/abroad in any discipline and must have at least five years of relevant managerial experience. Prospective students can apply to GMP through either XAT or GMAT which is followed by interview of short-listed candidates. The programme consists of core and optional courses designed for fast track executives with work experience. The core courses are categorized into seven major areas, Finance and Accounts, Marketing, Production and Operation, Information Systems, Human Resource Management and Organizational Behaviour, Economics, and Strategy. Completion of the core courses makes the way for the elective courses, chosen by the participants, helping them to further their areas of interest. International exposure is a three weeks international cross cultural project which exposes the participants to international perspective of business, so that the participants can effectively function in an environment different from their “home culture”. GMP has been ranked #4 by Outlook India in 2012.
The institute awards an Executive Postgraduate Diploma in General Management (AICTE accredited) to the participants who successfully complete all the requirements of this programme.
Fellow Programme in Management 
Fellow Programme in Management (FPM) is a Doctoral level (Ph.D.) programme. The FPM is a full-time, residential, doctoral programme that trains prospective scholars to become highly skilled and innovative researchers and teachers in various aspects of management. It primarily aims at preparing students for careers as faculty members at premier academic institutions. The rigorous academic process also prepares the students to take up critical job roles with the government and corporates where specialist inputs may be required. Although the primary aim of the program is to prepare highly skilled academicians many students also take up roles in corporate advisory and consulting firms.
The course normally requires four years, thesis stage is of two years. The student will select a thesis topic from among the areas Economics, Finance, Information Systems, Marketing, Operations Management, Organizational Behaviour, Personnel Management & Industrial Relations/Human Resource Management and Strategic Management. The student is expected to identify a thesis topic in consultation with a thesis adviser, and work under the supervision of a Thesis Advisory Committee. On successful completion of all the requirements of the FPM, a student will be awarded the title 'Fellow in Management'.
Fellowship Fellow students are awarded a fellowship of Rs. 20,000 per month during 1st and 2nd year and Rs. 25,000 per month for the next two years
Conferences and International Exposure The Institute provides support for attending National and International conferences after successful completion of first 2 years. A fellow student will be reimbursed all related expenses up to Rs. 1,50,000.
Entrepreneurship Management (PGP-CEM) 
Entrepreneurship Management Programme commonly known as PGP-CEM stands for Post Graduate Programme for Certificate in Entrepreneurship Management. It is a six months full-time classroom contact program. Candidates applying for Entrepreneurship Management programme must hold a minimum of three years Bachelor's Degree from a recognized University in India/abroad in any discipline, be interested in entrepreneurship- social or commercial- even though currently not functioning as entrepreneurs, possess basic computer literacy. Prospective students can apply to PGP-CEM through online application at XLRI website which is followed by Personal Interview and Group Discussions of shortlisted candidates.
The programme consists of approx 21 core courses of 1.5 credit each designed for prospective entrepreneurs in a way similar to accelerated management programmes. The core courses include Scaling-Up Ventures, Competitive Advantage & Strategic Management, Networking & Negotiation, Family Business, Legal Aspect of Business, Social & Environmental Responsibility of Business, Mobilization & Management of Finance, Managerial Economics, Macroeconomic Environment of Business, Business Planning - Appraisal & Implementation, Human Resource Management, Accounting in Business, Entrepreneurial Marketing including CRM, Banking Policy for Enterprise Development & Micro-finance, Communication, Social Entrepreneurship, Setting up & Managing Production, Technopreneurship & Management of Service Sector Enterprise, Leadership & Business Development, Agripreneurship and Fundamentals of Entrepreneureship. There may be changes in core courses based on the current requirement. Completion of the core courses makes the way for the certificate in entrepreneurship management (PGP-CEM) helping one to further their scope of business through indispensable knowledge and elite networking.
This programme is to inspire students to leverage best business practices in the service of positive, sustainable social impact across all sectors of leadership including the non-profit, public and for-profit sectors.
XLRI overseas 
XLRI began offering the Executive Programme in Dubai in collaboration with the Al Abbas Institute of Technology from October 2001. A new chapter was set up in Singapore in March 2006 in alliance with Image International.
XLRI Accenture HR Academy 
Accenture and XLRI have launched the Accenture-XLRI HR Academy, a training academy dedicated to the human capital management needs of the information technology and BPO industries. The academy offers a 24-month programme for fresh university graduates who have joined Accenture as trainees in the HR department. The trainees will be part in a work-study opportunity, wherein they will be employed with Accenture as they undergo the programme conducted jointly by XLRI and Accenture, with courses developed jointly by the two organisations. The programme comprises 15 learning modules covering a variety of HR-related topics, including training and development, career/performance management,rewards and compensation, organizational behaviour, as well as the financial and legal aspects of HR.
Campus committees 
XLRI provides diverse exposure to students, which is required for holistic development. It has around 21 committees on campus which deal with academics, sports, socio-cultural and administrative activities on campus. The Students Affairs Council (SAC) is the parent body responsible for all students related issues and activities. Some of the committees are:
- AcadCom, the committee for handling academic issues
- AlCom, the Alumni connect committee
- AXIOM, Association at XLRI for Industrial and Operations Management
- CII Yi XLRI Net, CSR Initiative by CII and XLRI
- CRUX, Consulting and Research Undertaking XLRI, dedicated to consulting related activities on campus
- DRACULA, the Dramatics and Cultural Association at XLRI
- E-Cell, the entrepreneurship development committee
- Ensemble Core Team, the annual management fest organizing committee
- Exlink, Media and Brand management Committee
- FINAX, Finance Association at XLRI, promotes finance related activities
- FIRE@X, Forum for Industrial Relations at XLRI
- InfraCom, the campus infrastructure management committee
- ISEP, International Student Exchange Programme Committee
- MAXI, Marketing Association XLRI
- PlaceCom, the placement coordinating committee
- SAPPHIRE, Students Association for the Promotion of Personnel Management, Human Resources and Industrial Relations
- SIGMA, Social Initiative Group for Managerial Assistance at XLRI
- SOCRATES, the Systems and Information Technology Committee
- SPIC MACAY, Society for Promotion of Indian Culture and Music among Youth, XLRI chapter
- SPORTSCOM, sports committee
- XLANC, the adventure and nature club at XLRI
Ensemble is the annual international management festival of XLRI School of Business and Human Resources in Jamshedpur, India. The meeting is a conference of industry leaders, students from reupted business schools and thinkers from the Indian MBA community. The festival is held in partnership with several corporate houses and includes competitions aimed at challenging the business acumen and social sensitivity of students. Ensemble is organized by the students of XLRI.
The Fest was first launched in 2001. Themes of the conference have included "Beyond Conventions" in 2012, "Bridging The Gap" in 2011, and "Towards A Better Tomorrow" in 2010.
Each event at the conference is a day-long test of core concepts of the domain of the event through multiple rounds. Typically, each event has an online screening of teams, and the winners are invited to XLRI. The Flagship Events include industry problems on General Management, Consulting, Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Operations and Systems. Domain events are industrial case studies in Finance, Marketing, Operations, Human Resources and Industrial Relations, conducted in close association with the co-curricular committees of XLRI.
'Idea Summit', featuring lectures from notable guest speakers and roundtable discussion with eminent thinkers from the Indian business world, has always been the highlight of Ensemble, with some of the most respected minds from across India gracing the occasion. Past speakers in The Idea Summit have included Kiran Bedi, Prahlad Kakkar, Leena Nair and Jagdish Capoor.
Ensemble also has a Business Quiz and a National Open Quiz as a part of the event.
The end of Ensemble is usually marked with cultural events including performances from reputed bands of the country. Ensemble 2011 featured Motherjane, an Indian rock band from Kochi, and the original Bodhi Tree band.
Other Events 
- XLRI Maxi Fair - The Marketing fair for Market Research
- Valhalla - Annual Sports cum cultural Fest
- INSIGHT - XLRI Annual Consulting Conference
- National Industrial Relations Conference, by FIRE@X
- National HR Conference
- Gnosis, The annual finance symposium organized by FINAX.
- National Conference on Social Entrepreneurship
- Jamshedpur Joyfest on Joy of Giving Week by SIGMA & CII Yi XLRI
- XL Dream Run & Jamshedpur National Debate organized by CII Yi XLRI
- XLRI Alumni Homecoming: Conducted every year in the month of November
- XLRI Alumni Silver Jubilee
- XLRI Leadership Expedition (XLE): Mt.Everest Base Camp
Notable Alumni 
- Rakesh Kapoor, Chief Executive of Reckitt Benckiser plc
- Jaspal Bindra, Group Executive Director & CEO (Asia), Standard Chartered Bank
- Madhavi Lall, Regional Head of HR, India & South Asia, Standard Chartered Bank
- Leena Nair, Global Senior Vice President (Leadership & Organisation Development), Unilever plc
- Sonali Roychowdhury, Country Head - Human Resources, Procter & Gamble
- Vineet Nayar, Vice Chairman & Joint Managing Director, HCL Technologies Ltd
- N.S.Rajan, Group Executive Council member & Group Chief Human Resources Officer, Tata Sons
- Sanjiv Bhasin, General Manager & Chief Executive Officer, DBS Bank India
- Ajay Bagga, Managing Director & Head Private Wealth Management, Deutsche Bank India
- B. Muthuraman, Managing Director, Tata Steel Ltd
- Dr. Akshay Rao, Professor (General Mills Chair in Marketing), Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
- "XLRI- History".
- Members of XLRI Board of Governors
- "The big jumps and falls in best business schools". Businessworld.
- "India's Top 50 B-Schools". Hindustan Times.
- "CNBC India, MBA Rankings".
- "The 50 best business schools". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "India's top 50 business schools" (jpg). Hindustan Times. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- "Top B-Schools in India". CNBC-TV18. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "PaGaLGuY B-school Rankings 2011". PaGaLGuY.com. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- "BEST B-SCHOOLS OUTLOOK-MDRA SURVEY".
- "MBA Rankings, Top B schools in India".
- "The 50 Best Business Schools".
- "India's best bschool survey 2012".
- XLRI XAT Test
- Admissions - Mandatory disclosure by XLRI
- "Entrepreneurship administration".
- "PGP-CEM Program".
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy
- Accenture-XLRI HR Academy launch press release
- "Events - XLRI".
- "XLRI Ensemble concludes with India's top B-schools winning honors".
- "Ensemble @ XLRI".
- "Ensemble 2011-12 kickstarts at XLRI".
- "XLRI, school of business and human resources to kick start its activities for the Annual Fest - Ensemble 2009".
- "India's top B-schools wins at XLRI Ensemble".
- "MDI, NITIE, IIM-S win prizes at XLRI's Ensemble 2010".
- "XLRI Ensemble: Growing in style and substance".
- "Ensemble 2009, the Annual fest of XLRI witness great participation and innovation".
- "XLRI's Ensemble fest".
- "Ensemble 2002 Brings Highs And Lows Of Stock Market To XLRI".
- "XLRI ENSEMBLE 2003-Let there B-Light".
- "XLRI fest to kick off on Nov 13".
- "Kiran Bedi to address XLRI seminar".
- "Executive Profile: Rakesh Kapoor". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2012.