|Traded as||NYSE: XL
S&P 500 Component
|Industry||Property & Casualty Insurance|
|Key people||Michael S. McGavick, CEO|
Selected 2012 Financial Data as at 31 December 2012
Total Assets $45.4 billion
|Footnotes / references
AM Best & Standard and Poor's rating A
XL Group plc (NYSE: XL) is a global insurance company headquartered in Ireland with executive offices in Hamilton, Bermuda and Stamford, Connecticut, USA. The company has approximately 4000 employees and about 60 offices on Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America. Formerly XL Capital Ltd, the company officially changed its name and domicile on 1 July 2010.
Its Insurance segment provides commercial property, casualty, professional liability, environmental liability, aviation and satellite, marine, product recall, political risks, equine, fine art and specie, surplus lines and other coverages. The Reinsurance segment provides casualty, property risk (including energy and engineering), property catastrophe, marine, aviation, and other specialty reinsurance globally.
The company began as "EXEL Limited". Ian Heap was appointed the company’s first CEO in 1987, followed by Michael Kevany in 1989 serving until 1994. Brian O’Hara became XL’s third CEO in 1994 serving in that position until 2008 when Mike McGavick stepped into the CEO position in May of that year.
- "XL XL Group Posts $81.4 Million Q4 Net Income; $651.1 Million Full Year". Insurance Journal. 8 February 2013.
- "XL Hires Another ACE Executive for Its New York Team". Insurance Journal. 20 December 2011.
- "XL Group Expands Political Risk Team in New York". Insurance Journal. 8 May 2013.
- Mark A. Hofmann (1 July 2010). "XL Group completes redomestication to Ireland". Business Insurance Magazine.
- Wallace Witkowski (30 April 2010). "XL Capital to change name, place of incorporation". MarketWatch.
- Richard Henry Suttmeier (15 May 2013). "Play The Financials Rebound With This Irish Insurance Company". Forbes.
- "XL Group PLC". Reuters. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- Robert Regis Hyle (17 May 2013). "Streamlining the Claims Process at XL Group". PropertyCasualty360.com.
- "EXEL Limited Announces Formation of X.L. Insurance Company of America". PropertyandCasualty.com. 1 April 1998.
- Douglas Mcleod (28 October 2007). "XL to search for new chief as O'Hara retires". Business Insurance Magazine.
|This bank, insurance, or other financial services corporation article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Bermuda-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|