XM Radio Canada
Number of employees
XM Radio Canada was the operating name of Canadian Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (or "CSR"), a Canadian communications and media company, which was incorporated in 2002 to broadcast satellite radio in Canada. Following the merger of Sirius XM Radio in the United States, XM Canada and its competitor Sirius Canada reached a deal in late 2010 to merge into Sirius XM Canada, which was approved by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission on April 11, 2011 and completed on June 21, 2011.
On August 19, 2003, Canadian Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., the parent company of CSR, filed its initial application to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a broadcast licence to provide subscription based digital radio service in Canada. In June 2005, the CRTC awarded the company a six year licence to commence broadcasting in Canada. XM Radio Canada started transmissions across Canada on November 22, 2005, and launched officially on December 1, 2005. Clear Channel's channels were eliminated from XM Radio Canada on April 17, 2006. On April 1, 2007, XM Radio Canada began simulcasting the U.S. service, with the exception of Clear Channel's channels. On November 30, 2007, XM Radio Canada announced that they have over 350,000 subscribers. The Best Of Sirius package (NFL, NASCAR, Howard 100, Howard 101) was not included on XM Radio Canada's offerings in September 2008, even though the Sirius channels were poured to XM Radio Canada during the merger of XM and Sirius channels on November 12, 2008.
On November 24, 2010, CSR announced that it has proposed an all-stock merger with its competitor, Sirius Canada, subject to approval by shareholders and the CRTC. The CRTC approved the merger on April 11, 2011. (XM159) - South Asian Programming produced by ATN. Broadcast majority in (English).
- Radio Parallèle (XM172) - News, talk, information and entertainment channel that features Jeff Fillion's show. Broadcast in (French).
- MLB Home Plate Info (XM179) - Major League Baseball information, scores, updates and short specials are produced for this channel, and loop on the other MLB play-by-play channels occasionally when out of service. Broadcast in (English).
- NHL Home Ice (XM204) - National Hockey League talk and play by play. Features hockey talk and programming in the daytime hours and games in the nighttime hours. XM Radio is the exclusive broadcaster of the NHL. Broadcast in (English).
- NHL Play-by-Play (XM205-209) - National Hockey League play by play. These channels are programmed and scheduled by XM Radio Canada. XM Radio Canada also produces special content for the channels during their downtime, as well as sports updates, known as NHL Home Ice Info. All broadcast in (English).
XM Radio announced on 2007-07-30 that their XM NavTraffic added Montreal and Toronto to their list of cities that now have traffic data. Unfortunately, as of September 29, 2007, no data seems to appear for those users who have subscribed to this added feature. By calling XM Radio, you can leave a contact phone number to be notified when service is available.
- CRTC Decision 2011-240.
- "Sirius Canada and XM Canada Complete Merger". Broadcaster, June 21, 2011.
- "XM Canada set to launch 'ATN-Asian Radio' Channel" (Press release). Canadian Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. 2007-09-18. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- ""Le Pirate" Jeff Fillion comes to XM Canada" (Press release). CNW Telbec. 2006-08-11. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- "XM Real-Time NavTraffic Service Now Available in 79 Markets" (Press release). XM Satellite Radio. 2007-07-30. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- "XM NavTraffic comes to Canada - NOT Really - Digital Forum". Retrieved 2007-09-18.