XSplit Broadcaster (better known as XSplit) is a streaming and video-mixing application developed and maintained by SplitmediaLabs Limited. It is widely used for streaming games and is considered one of the more popular livestreaming applications today.
XSplit acts as a video mixer where it is able to switch between various media sources while dynamically mixing it with other sources such as video cameras, screen region capture, game capture, flash sources and etc. These sources are then used to create a broadcast production for both live and on-demand distribution on the web.
XSplit was started in 2009 when SplitmediaLabs Limited merged with Hmelyoff Labs. It was initially a screen capture product but eventually became a livestreaming application.
On December 2010, it was announced that XSplit would go on public beta. It was during this time that it grew more and became popular largely due to feedback from its users. It also helped that it was mentioned a lot on popular gaming message boards such as Team Liquid. etc.
On April 2012, it was finally announced that XSplit 1.0 is set to be released which would formally mark the end of its public beta period. The release unveiled its new pricing scheme and the restrictions for not having a license which was both met with mixed reactions.
Shortly before releasing XSplit version 1.1, it was announced that a partnership between SplitmediaLabs and AVerMedia was agreed. The deal was centered around AVerMedia shipping 3-month licenses of XSplit along with their Live Gamer HD C985 capture card.
On August 2012, XSplit 1.1 was released. It mostly contained feature enhancements and bug fixes that were reported in the previous versions although some new features for paying users were also introduced.
- Support for multiple cameras
- Support for Avermedia capture card
- Flash Plugins
- Support for full screen game capture of DirectX 9, 10 and 11 games
- Chroma key
- Support for 3D effect for different sources
- Built-in support for streaming to different services such as Justin.TV, TwitchTV Ustream, Own3d and other streaming services.
- Support for broadcasting to a custom RTMP server or CDN provider
- "Hmelyoff Labs merged with SplitmediaLabs Limited".
- "SplitmediaLabs Unveils XSplit Broadcaster".
- "XSplit 1.0 Drops April 12".
- "Live Gamer HD-XSplit Integration".
- "SplitmediaLabs Announces The Release Of XSplit Broadcaster 1.1".
- "SplitmediaLabs Announces the Release of XSplit Broadcaster 1.2".
- "Elgato Game Capture HD for Windows and XSplit integration".
- "XSplit for Live Gamer HD".
- "Game Capture is now ready for prime time".