X (Chris Brown album)
|Studio album by Chris Brown|
|Released||September 16, 2014|
|Chris Brown chronology|
|Singles from X|
X is the upcoming sixth studio album by American recording artist Chris Brown, scheduled to be released on September 16, 2014, through RCA Records. In September 2013, Brown stated that X will be a double disc album, with ten songs on each disc.
Background and development
On November 8, 2012, in an interview with radio station Power 106 in Los Angeles, Brown debuted his supposed first single "Nobody's Perfect" of his upcoming sixth album, then under the working title of Carpe Diem, due for release in 2013. The single was never released, and after concluding his Carpe Diem Tour in late 2012, word of Brown's next studio album started to develop. MTV News confirmed development of the album, with Brown collaborating with producers Timbaland, Danja and Diplo.
On March 26, 2013, Brown confirmed the release of X in various interviews and listening sessions. In an interview with Ebony Brown spoke of taking his music in a different direction and changing his sound from pop-infused and sexually explicit, to a more mature, soulful and vulnerable theme for the album. Brown explained the significance of the title:
|“||It's the Roman numeral for 10. 5/5/89 is my birthday: 5 plus 5 is 10, and this is my tenth year since I got into music. 'X' is the 24th letter in the alphabet, and I will turn 24 when this album comes out. 'X' is also a metaphor, as in 'ex-girlfriend': it implies you're progressing and moving on in life, not holding on to the past and your old ways.||”|
He explained his mindset of making the album as;
“I tried to stay away from the Euro beats, and not go totally pop. Instead, I wanted to take the Quincy Jones approach. The record pays homage to the Stevie Wonders, the Michael Jacksons, the Sam Cookes. I wanted to put that classic essence of R&B and soul with the new age of music now. There’s a lot of live instruments, and a lot less Auto-Tune. I really wanted to demonstrate my vocal ability, creating the vibe of me singing along with a band.”
Recording and production
In March 2013, Brown spoke of working with artists and producers such as Pharrell Williams, Kendrick Lamar, Ludacris, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Wiz Khalifa, Timbaland, Diplo, Danja, and DJ RoccStar among others. On July 4, 2013 Brown confirmed features on his album to include Nicki Minaj, Kendrick Lamar, Rihanna, Wiz Khalifa, B.o.B and Kelly Rowland among others. At the same time production would be confirmed by Timbaland, Diplo, Polow Da Don, Danja, Pharrell, and Drumma Boy.
On August 5, Brown said he had "about 50 songs" to choose from for X.
Release and promotion
On April 29, 2013, Brown announced a release date of July 16 for X. Brown would announce in July that it would be pushed back due to his management, then a new release date of August 20, 2013 was set. However, in September 2013, it was revealed that the album has been pushed back to November 19, 2013. That same month, Brown stated that the album will be a double disc album with 10 songs on each disc, and was now due on December 3.
On November 20, 2013, Brown was sentenced to an anger management rehabilitation center for 3 months, putting the December 2013 release of X in jeopardy. To "hold [fans] over until [the X album] drops," Brown released a six-track mixtape entitled X Files on November 19, 2013. It featured collaborations with Ludacris and Kid Ink, including the song "Main Chick". On February 22, 2014, it was announced that the album would be released on Brown's birthday, May 5, 2014. However, it was again delayed due to Brown's prison sentence. Finally on August 3rd Chris confirmed via instagram that the released date would be September 16, 2014. On August 6, 2014, the album cover was revealed.
The album's lead single, "Fine China", was released to digital retailers on March 29, 2013 and was sent to US Rhythmic contemporary radio the following day. The song was produced by RoccStar and PK. It has since peaked at number 31 on the US Billboard Hot 100.
The album's second single, "Don't Think They Know," which features late singer Aaliyah, was released to digital retailers on June 17, 2013 and will be sent to Rhythmic contemporary radio in the United States on July 1, 2013. The music video was shot in Los Angeles, California and was released on June 17, 2013. It featured scenes from the music video for Aaliyah's 2000 single "Try Again". The song has since peaked at number 81 on the Billboard Hot 100.
After his performance at the 2013 BET Awards, Brown announced that the third single from the album would be "Love More" featuring Nicki Minaj. On July 19, he would release its cover art. On July 16, the song was released for digital download and a week later, the song was sent to rhythmic contemporary radio. The music video for the single was filmed on August 2, 2013 in Los Angeles, California., with apparently 60 of Brown's backup dancers. It was later released on August 17, 2013. The song has since peaked at number 23 on the Billboard Hot 100.
On December 19, 2013, a two-track single entitled "Loyal" was released for digital download on iTunes. The first track has an alternate name entitled "West Coast Version" which features rappers Lil Wayne and Too Short while the "East Coast Version" track also features Lil Wayne, but instead features rapper French Montana. In March, a third version was released with Lil Wayne but Tyga as the second guest verse. The song has been successfully commercial, reaching number 9 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 10 on the UK Official Singles Chart, so far making it Brown's highest charting single from X in both countries.
- "Add Me In" (produced by Danja)
- "Autumn Leaves" (featuring Kendrick Lamar, produced by BAM)
- "Don't Be Gone Too Long" (featuring Ariana Grande)
- "Don't Think They Know" (featuring Aaliyah)
- "Do Better" (featuring Brandy)
- "Feel That" (produced by 9th Wonder)
- "Fine China" (produced by Roccstar & PK)
- "Home" (produced by Arthur McArthur & Glass John)
- "Lady in the Glass Dress" (produced by DJ Camper)
- "Love More" (featuring Nicki Minaj)
- "Loyal" (featuring Lil Wayne, with either French Montana, Too Short or Tyga featuring on the track as well, depending on the version.) 
- "New Flame" (featuring Usher and Rick Ross)
- "Put It Up" (featuring Rihanna)
- "Sex You Up"
- "Something Special" (produced by Christian Rich)
- "Wildcat" (produced by Drumma Boy)
- "When I Love Ya"(produced by Christian Rich)
- "X" (produced by Diplo)
- "New Music: Chris Brown – 'Nobody's Perfect'". rap-up.com. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Brown enlists Timbaland, Danja and Diplo for yet-untitled project.". mtvasia.com. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- Gundersen, Edna (2013-03-26). "He sat down with USA TODAY to preview five tracks from his new album.". usatoday.com. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Chris Brown Calls on Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar for ‘X’". Rap-Up.com. 2013-03-27. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Chris Brown Previews New Album 'X': 'The Negativity Is in the Past'". rollingstone.com. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- Copsey, Robert (2013-07-04). "Chris Brown confirms Rihanna duet for new album 'X' - Music News". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Chris Brown Reveals ‘X’ Features". Rap-Up.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Miller, Kai (August 5, 2014). "Chris Brown: I Got About '50 Songs' For 'X'". Vibe. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- Rap-Up.com || Chris Brown Announces ‘X’ Release Date, Drops New Song ‘I Can’t Win’
- Williams, Brennan (2013-05-28). "Chris Brown Slams Management Team Over Album Delay". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Chris Brown May Retire After 'X' | STACK Gamer". Stack.com. 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Chris Brown Enters Rehab for Anger Management". TMZ.com. 2013-10-30. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- "Chris Brown Releasing 5 New Songs, Delaying 'X' Album Until 2014". Fuze.tv. 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Mitchell, Gail (2013-03-26). "Chris Brown Shares Sneak Peek of New Album: First Single 'Fine China' Bows April". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!
- "Don't Think They Know (feat. Aaliyah) - Single". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Chris Brown Features Aaliyah On New "They Don't Know" Single | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX
- "Video: Chris Brown f/ Aaliyah – ‘Don’t Think They Know’". Rap-Up.com. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Chris Brown Releases Cover Art For 'Love More' Featuring Nicki Minaj". Rttnews.com. 2013-07-19. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Chris Brown - Love More (feat. Nicki Minaj) - Single". iTunes Store. July 16, 2013. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- "Top 40/Rhythmic-Crossover > Future Releases". AllAcess Music Group. July 16, 2013. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- Carpenter, Cassie (2013-08-03). "Chris Brown shoots his new music video with Nicki Minaj and a mob of scantily-clad extras". Daily Mail (London: DMG Media).
- "Chris Brown - Love More ft. Nicki Minaj (Official Video)".
- "Loyal (West Coast Version) [feat. Lil Wayne & Too $hort] - Single". iTunes Store. Apple, Inc. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- "Loyal (East Coast Version) [feat. Lil Wayne & French Montana] - Single". iTunes Store. Apple, Inc. Retrieved December 21, 2013.
- "Hear A Preview Of Chris Brown’s ‘New Flame’ With Rick Ross And Usher". mtv.com. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "New Flame (feat. Usher & Rick Ross) - Single". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Chris Brown Teases 'New Flame' Single". bet.com. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Gundersen, Edna (26 March 2013). "'X' marks the spot for Chris Brown's new music and path". usatoday.com. Retrieved 28 March 2013.
- "Chris Brown Teases Ariana Grande Duet ‘Don't Be Gone Too Long’ With Dance Video (Watch)". billboard.com. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Chris Brown Enlists Brandy for ‘X’". Rap-Up.com. 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Chris Brown Talks New Album, Graffiti and Wu-Tang -- EXCLUSIVE Interview". theboombox.com. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- Nigel D. (2013-01-11). "Video: Chris Brown - Home | RealTalkNY". Realtalkny.uproxx.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Alexis, Nadeska (2013-06-30). "Chris Brown, Nicki Minaj Kick Off BET Awards With 'Love More' - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Victoria Garo-Falides (2013-07-04). "Chris Brown confirms Rihanna duet WILL feature on new album X - 3am & Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "News | Chris Brown Previews New Music From 'X,' Announces Official Drop Date". Singersroom. 2013-07-19. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Twitter / christianrich: If I were you I would look". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Chris Brown - Wildcat (prod. Drumma Boy)". 2dopeboyz. 25 December 2013. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Watch: Chris Brown Previews New Track ‘When I Love Ya'". Vibe. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 2013-08-25.