X (Def Leppard album)
|Studio album by Def Leppard|
|Released||30 July 2002|
|Recorded||2001–2002 at Joe's Garage in Dublin, Ireland
Polar Studios in Stockholm, Sweden
Rumbo Studios in Los Angeles, California, USA
Bludgeon Riffola/Mercury (UK & Europe)
|Producer||Pete Woodroffe and Def Leppard
Per Aldeheim and Andreas Carlsson
|Def Leppard chronology|
|Singles from X|
X (pronounced ten) is the eighth studio album by English rock band Def Leppard, released in 2002 by Island Records. Much like 1996's Slang, it featured another departure from their signature sound by moving into the pop genre. The album charted at No. 11 on The Billboard 200 and No. 14 on the UK Albums Chart. Most of the album was produced by Pete Woodroffe and the band, with remaining tracks produced by either Marti Frederiksen or Per Aldeheim and Andreas Carlsson. This is the first Def Leppard album in which drummer Rick Allen actively took part in song-writing. On all of the band's prior albums, he is only credited with helping co-write 3 tracks. On this album alone, he co-wrote 11.
The album features the Roman numeral 'X', recognising it as their tenth album release, although the album is in fact only their eighth collection of all-new studio material. The other two albums released by the band prior to the release of X, Retro Active and Vault, were a rerecording of B-sides and rarities and a greatest hits set respectively.
The album peaked at number 11 on the Billboard 200, but did not sell to the standards of their previous releases and failed to earn any RIAA certifications. Nothing from this album had been performed live by the band since the conclusion of its supporting tour until the 'Rock of Ages' tour of 2012 during which the opening track "Now" was performed acoustically.
For a short time after the album was released, Def Leppard's website Defleppard.com featured a free mp3 download of the song "Perfect Girl" this was in fact a very early version of the track "Gravity"
|1.||"Now"||Marti Frederiksen, Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Vivian Campbell, Rick Savage, Rick Allen||3:58|
|2.||"Unbelievable"||Per Aldeheim, Andreas Carlsson, Max Martin||3:58|
|3.||"You're So Beautiful"||Frederiksen, Collen, Elliott, Campbell, Savage, Allen||3:31|
|4.||"Everyday"||Frederiksen, Collen, Elliott, Campbell, Savage, Allen||3:08|
|5.||"Long, Long Way to Go"||Wayne Hector, Steve Robson||4:38|
|6.||"Four Letter Word"||Collen, Elliott, Campbell, Savage, Allen||3:07|
|7.||"Torn to Shreds"||Collen, Savage, Elliott, Campbell, Allen||2:56|
|8.||"Love Don't Lie"||Elliott, Collen, Campbell, Savage, Allen||4:46|
|9.||"Gravity"||Collen, Elliott, Pete Woodroffe, Campbell, Savage, Allen||2:33|
|10.||"Cry"||Collen, Elliott, Campbell, Savage, Allen||3:17|
|11.||"Girl Like You"||Campbell, Collen, Elliott, Savage, Allen||2:49|
|12.||"Let Me Be the One"||Elliott, Campbell, Collen, Savage, Allen||3:29|
|13.||"Scar"||Collen, Elliott, Campbell, Savage, Woodroffe, Allen||4:59|
|14.||"Kiss the Day"||Savage, Collen, Elliott, Campbell, Allen||4:27|
|15.||"Long, Long Way to Go" (acoustic)||Hector, Robson||4:43|
|16.||"10 X Bigger than Love"||Elliott, Collen, Campbell, Savage, Allen||3:57|
|17.||"Gimme A Job"||Elliott, Collen, Campbell, Savage, Allen||3:17|
|18.||"Perfect Girl" (Demo, early version of "Gravity")||Collen, Elliott, Woodroffe, Campbell, Savage, Allen||2:41|
- Joe Elliott – lead vocals
- Rick "Sav" Savage – bass guitar, vocals
- Rick Allen – drums
- Vivian Campbell – guitar, vocals
- Phil Collen – guitar, vocals
- Stan Schiller – shredding tele licks on "Gravity"
- Eric Carter – keyboards and drum loops on "Now", "You're So Beautiful" and "Everyday"
- Producers: Def Leppard, Per Aldeheim, Andreas Carlsson, Pete Woodroffe
- Engineers: Stefan Boman, Richard Chycki, Ronan McHugh, Liz Sroka, Pete Woodroffe
- Mixing: Marti Frederiksen, Ronan McHugh, Pete Woodroffe
- Mastering: Tom Coyne
- A&R: Simon Collins, Jeff Fenster
- Production co-ordination: Leslie Langlo, Sue Tropio
- Editing: Brian Paturalski
- Vocal producer: Ronan McHugh
- Drum technician: Jerry Johnson
- String arrangements: David Campbell
- Programming: Ronan McHugh, Pete Woodroffe
- Photography: Clive Arrowsmith
|2002||US Billboard 200||11|
|2002||"Now"||US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||26|
|2002||"Now"||US Billboard Adult Top 40||40|
|2002||"Now"||Nielsen SoundScan Canadian Singles Chart||29|
|2002||"Four Letter Word"||US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||30|
- "Allmusic (Def Leppard charts and awards) Billboard albums".
- "Def Leppard chart stats". Archived from the original on 2012-05-27.
- X (CD back cover and booklet). Def Leppard. London, England: Bludgeon Riffola/Mercury. 2002. 063,120-2.