|Birth name||Ryan Friedrich|
July 14, 1980 |
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
|Origin||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Instruments||Synthesizer, keyboards, electronics, laptop, computer, sampler|
|Labels||Hymen Records, Mirex, Thac0 Records, Zhark International, Mutant Sniper, Peace Off|
|Associated acts||xE Phalanx|
Ryan Friedrich (born July 14, 1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States), better known by his moniker Xanopticon, is an electronic musician. One of breakcore's most prominent producers, he has toured internationally and released music with several electronic labels including Hymen Records, Mirex, Cock Rock Disco, Entity and Tigerbeat6. His live shows are often noted for their intensity and his sound for its attention to detail, having been described by one journalist as "waves of breaks". Xanopticon's output features dramatic dynamics that alternate between frantic IDM/breakcore and more subtle, melodic ambient music, and his sonic heaviness has been compared to labelmates Venetian Snares and Fanny, as well as Belgian flashcore artist Atomhead.
Not much information is available about what software Friedrich uses for music production. However, he has been stated recording the album Liminal Space in FL Studio 4. To what extent that is true there is no real evidence for right now, but in a video he is actually seen using FL Studio while doing a live performance, proving that he uses it to at least some extent.
- Azif (2002, Mirex)
- Même Mage (2003, Mutant Sniper)
- Psicicite (2006, Hymen Records)
- Alembic (2007, Thac0 Records)
- The Silver Key EP (2007, Zhark International)
- Theiner, Manny. Xanopticon; Psicicite, Pittsburgh City Paper, December 13, 2006. Retrieved on December 3, 2008.
- "Xanopticon in San Francisco", ectomo.com, 2008. Retrieved on December 3, 2008.
- Suarez, Gary. "Xanopticon, 'Liminal Space'", Brainwashed, 2004. Retrieved on December 3, 2008.
- "Xanopticon live at Low Gravity Beatz", MySpace, 2008. Retrieved on March 22, 2009.