Xaverian Brothers High School
|Xaverian Brothers High School|
Classmates for four years. Brothers for life.
|800 Clapboardtree Street
Westwood, Massachusetts, (Norfolk County), 02090
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Dean||Mr. Chris Vasta|
|Principal||Mr. Domenic Lalli|
|Asst. Principal||Mr. Steve Dacey,
Br. Raymond Hoyt C.F.X.
|Headmaster||Brother Daniel Skala, C.F.X|
|Average class size||20-25 students|
|Student to teacher ratio||14:1|
|Campus size||35 acres (142,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue and Yellow|
|Athletics||15 Division 1 sports|
|Athletics conference||Catholic Conference - B|
|Rival||St. John's Preparatory School|
|Accreditation(s)||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Average SAT scores||Verbal 680;
|Publication||Concordian (literary magazine)|
Xaverian Brothers High School (XBHS), founded in 1963 by the Xaverian Brothers, is a private, Catholic secondary school for boys on a 35-acre (142,000 m2) campus in Westwood, Massachusetts. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston.
Sponsored by the Xaverian Brothers religious order, XBHS offers a rigorous college preparatory program. The school attracts students from more than 70 communities in eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island and is well-recognized for its highly educated faculty, academic resources and athletics.
Xaverian is a Catholic college preparatory school for boys in grades 9-12. The school is a Xaverian Brothers Sponsored School[Congregation of St. Francis Xavier] that enrolls 825 students from over 60 different communities. The establishment was built in 1962 on the same plot of land in Westwood, Massachusetts. Today, there are over 7,900 alumni living all around the globe. Xaverian is known for its highly educated staff in which over 75% hold graduate degrees from some of today's most competitive colleges. Every classroom has a Smart Board, and teachers have the ability to utilize five different computer labs that are available to meet with classes. In 2012 the school instituted a technology initiative, opening its Wi-Fi access to all students and beginning a "Bring Your Own Device" program.
A unique aspect to Xaverian is its Department Centers. There are Department Centers for Mathematics, English, Social Studies, World Languages, Theology, and three science labs (Biology, Chemistry and Physics). Each department is staffed with teachers who are available during the day and before and after school for assistance for any student.
Recent Athletic History
In 2009, Xaverian's football team won the Division 1 Super Bowl finishing off with an undefeated season 13-0 season shutting out Everett 29-0 at Gillette stadium and winning its sixth Super Bowl and eighth state title. In 2004, Xaverian's baseball team won the Division 1 State Championship, and was ranked the 24th best team in the country by USA Today. The baseball team has returned to the Division I South Sectional in 2010, 2011 and won the D1 title again in 2012. In 2006, the outdoor track team won the MIAA All State Meet. The Cross-country team won 6 Catholic Conference titles in 7 years. Recently the track team had four graduates running for Ivy league schools. They are Dan Higgins (Penn), Peter Dolan '09 (Harvard), Mark Amiriault '10 (Princeton), and John Bleday '10 (Dartmouth). The Alpine Ski Team won the State Championship in 2013 and Volleyball team won the their second straight Western Alliance Conference title in 2010 and 2011. In 2008, the powerlifting team won their fifth straight state title. In 2013, the Varsity Golf team tied at the Division 1 State championships and lost the tie-breaker. Xaverian currently has over 100 athletes participating in college athletics (Xaverian Magazine winter 2011). Chris Wagner '09 was drafted in 2010 by the NHL's Anaheim Ducks and is now playing for them. The Lacrosse team won the Division 1 state title in 2013. The Hawks compete in Division 1 the Catholic Conference. They are fierce rivals with the St. John's Prep Eagles, Catholic Memorial Knights, and Boston College High School Eaglettes.
Xaverian's theatrical performances have been in existence since Xaverian first opened in the late 1960s. Since its first production, "Take Time Out" Xaverian has performed over 80 shows. Xaverian presents a fall drama, a spring musical, and two sketch comedy shows and live music performances dubbed "Live @ the X". The Theater Arts Program at Xaverian is currently run by Matthew Cavanaugh ‘96.
|Year||Performance 1||Performance 2||Performance 3||Year||Performance 1||Performance 2||Performance 3|
|'67||Take Time Out||'68||It's The Most|
|'69||Life||Zoo Story||'70||The New Touch||Waiting for Godot|
|'73||The Sky's the Limit||Child's Play||'74||The Music Man|
|'75||West Side Story||Picnique en Compagne||'76||Fiddler on the Roof||Stalag 17|
|'77||Anything Goes||The Real Inspector Hound||'78||Cabaret||The Crucible|
|'79||Kiss Me Kate||One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest||'80||West Side Story||The Lion in Winter|
|'81||Most Happy Fella||A Man for All Seasons||'82||Guys and Dolls|
|'83||Jesus Christ, Superstar||Rashomon||'84||George M.||The Real Inspector Hound|
|'85||Oklahoma!||'86||West Side Story||Mass Appeal|
|'87||Jesus Christ, Superstar||Invitation to Murder||'88||Working||One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest|
|'89||Anything Goes||'90||Grease||The Foreigner|
|'91||Damn Yankees||Wait Until Dark||'92||West Side Story||The Boys Next Door|
|'93||Godspell||Arsenic and Old Lace||'94||Oklahoma!||Rumors|
|'95||Guys and Dolls||Len Me a Tenor||'96||Jesus Christ, Superstar||You Can't Take It With You|
|'97||The Pajama Game||Flowers for Algernon||'98||Once On This Island||One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest|
|'99||West Side Story||'00||Damn Yankees||Antigone|
|'01||Li'l Abner||A Midsummer Nights Dream||'02||Anything Goes||Rumors|
|'03||Crazy for You||The Foreigner||'04||Godspell||Laughter on the 23rd Floor|
|'05||Blood Brothers||XNL||Arsenic and Old Lace||'06||How to Succeed in Business||XNL 2: The "Odd"yssey||One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest|
|'07||Pippin||XNL 3||The Dining Room||'08||West Side Story||XNL 4||Flowers for Algernon|
|'09||Damn Yankees||XNL 5||You Can't Take it With You||'10||Once On This Island||XNL 6||It's a Wonderful Life|
|'11||Footloose||"Classical Cafe"||The Boys Next Door||'12||The Pajama Game||Live@theX||All My Sons|
|'13||Godspell||Live@theX||The Man Who Came to Dinner||'14||Oklahoma!||TBA||TBA|
XNL = Xaverian Night Live
- Mr. Alex Salachi - 2013
- Mr. Steve Steinbergher - 2012
- Mr. Denis Smith '67 - 2011
- Mr. James McCarthy - 2010
- Mr. Phillip Penza - 2009
- Ms. Catherine Douglas - 2008
- Mr. Charles Duddy and David Palmieri '93 - 2007
- Dr. Keith Crowley - 2006
- Ms. Paula Duddy - 2005
- Mr. Gerry Lambert '88 - 2004
- Mr. Garrett Bowers '87 - 2003
- Mr. James Conley - 2002
- Mr. James Lewis - 2001
- Ms. Mary Briody - 2000
- Mr. Donald Burke - 1999
- Mr. Charles Stevenson '69 - 1998
- Ms. Eileen Schofield - 1997
- Mr. Charles McNamee - 1996
- Mr. Domenic Lalli - 1995
- Mr. Edward Hardiman '88 - 1994
- Mr. Philip Previte - 1993
- Dana Barros - NBA All-star, Former Boston Celtic and holds NBA record for making one three pointer in 89 consecutive NBA games.
- James "Jumping" Bailey - NBA First round draft pick by Seattle Supersonics
- Dicky Barrett - Mighty Mighty BossTones frontman (left before graduation)
- Joe Fleming - former CFL football player and drafted in NHL
- Matt Hasselbeck - 3 time Pro-Bowl NFL quarterback. Six years started in the playoffs. Played at Boston College, now with the Indianapolis Colts.
- Tim Hasselbeck - NFL quarterback. Played at Boston College, was with the New York Giants. Currently an analyst with ESPN.
- Greg Comella- Former NFL fullback for NY Giants. Started in Super Bowl XXXV against Baltimore Ravens
- Drew Stojny- Former NFL lineman for St. Louis Rams.
- Derrik Knight- all-time leading rusher at Boston College
- Rob Mariano aka "Boston Rob" - Reality TV Star- Appeared four times on Survivor and twice on The Amazing Race
- Brian Mann - quarterback for the Los Angeles Avengers in the Arena Football League
- John Ennis - Los Angeles based Actor and Comedian
- Phill Boucher - Film Composer in Los Angeles. IMDB Link
- Dennis Crowley - Co-creator/CEO of social networking sites Dodgeball and Foursquare
- Bob Higgins -Exe. Producer for movie Under Dog, creator/producer Clifford Big Red Dog, Yo Gabba Gabba, Aquabots Supershow and Ricky Gervais Show
- Rick Hankey - VH1 Exe. Producer for Jersey Shore, Mob Wives and 120 Minutes
- Dennis House, news anchor and political moderator for WFSB-TV, the CBS station in Hartford, Connecticut
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (August 2008)|
- NEASC-CIS. "NEASC-Commission on Independent Schools". Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- Consistently appears on the list of best local high schools in Boston magazine.
- Carraggi, Mike (2009-12-06). "Perfect storm for Hawks". The Boston Globe.