Xia Yu (actor)
At the 2007 Shanghai International Film Festival
|Pinyin||Xià Yǔ (Mandarin)|
October 28, 1976 |
Qingdao, Shandong, China
|Spouse(s)||Yuan Quan (m. 2009)|
|Children||1 daughter (b. 2010)|
|Alma mater||Central Academy of Drama|
Xia Yu was born on October 28, 1976 in Qingdao, Shandong Province. He was initially discovered by Jiang Wen during his semi-autobiographical film In the Heat of the Sun (1994). Jiang Wen is a famous actor, director and screenwriter in China. Xia was chosen partly because of facial resemblance to a young Jiang. He acted the leading role in this movie and he achieved international fame by winning many awards for his first film, including Best Actor from the Venice Film Festival (the youngest actor to won that award in the history of the festival), Singapore International Film Festival and Golden House Award in 1995.
Xia wanted to study drama after his first film, he was accepted into the Central Academy of Drama, the most prestigious acting school in Beijing. After completing his studies there, Xia remained an active force in Chinese cinema as well as television, appearing in many films and television series. The second movie of Xia was “Shadow Magic” and this movie proof the strength of Xia and nominated the Best Actor of Tokyo International Film Festival after he graduated from college. In 2003 depended on the movie “The Law of Romance” Xia won the Best Actor from Golden Rooster Award and in 2005 depended on the movie “Waiting Alone” he earned the Best Actor in 12th Student Film Festival Awards. He also appeared in the Hong Kong action film Meng Long (Dragon Squad, 2005). Xia also appeared in two Hollywood movies “The Panda Adventure” and “The Painted Veil”. The title of those five Best Actor at international film festivals, Xia Yu has been named one of the top four hottest young actors in China.
Xia Yu married actress Yuan Quan in 2009, a decade after their first date as students in Central Academy of Drama. They have appeared in 4 films together: The Law of Romance (2003), Waiting Alone (2004), Shanghai Rumba (2006) and Breakup Buddies (2014). Their daughter was born on March 31, 2010.
Skateboard is very important for his life. He was falling in love with skateboard due to a hot movie he watch when he was young “Gleaming the Cube”. Due to the busy work he didn’t have too much time to play skateboard, but he will play skateboard when he was free in the film studio. In 2003, Xia began to play skiing and love it. In 2006, Xia won the champion of a snowboarding game in amateur group in Lucerne, Switzerland.
- In the Heat of the Sun (1994) - Ma Xiaojun
- Shadow Magic (2000) - Liu Jinglun (Liu Zhonglun)
- Roots and Branches (2001)
- China: The Panda Adventure (2001) - Quentin Young
- Where Have All the Flowers Gone (2002) - Gao Ju
- Cala, My Dog! (2003)
- Jing cha you yue (2003) - Zhao Liu'an
- Bamboo Shoot (2004) - Wang Shengli
- Waiting Alone (2004) - Chen Wen
- Electric Shadows (2005) - Mao Dabing
- Dragon Squad (2005) (as Sean Xia) - Cheung
- Shanghai Rumba (2006) - Chuan
- Sun Plant (2006)
- The Painted Veil (2006)
- Secret History of Kangxi (2006)
- Getting Home (2007)
- Dangerous Game (2007)
- Tiny Dust, True Love (2009)
- Life of Sentime (2010)
- Wind Blast (2010)
- Double Trouble (2012) - Ocean
- The Sino-Japanese War at Sea 1894 (2012)
- Love Deposit (2013)
- Christmas Rose (2013)
- Breakup Buddies (2014)
- Crazy New Year’s Eve (2015)
- The Ghouls (2015)
- Big Cat's Love (2014)
- Standing Year (2012)
- Legend of Yangliuqing (2012)
- Our Group (2011)
- Master Worker (2010)
- Army Flag Flying (2009)
- Firewall 5788 (2009)
- Great Porcelain Merchant (2008)
- Our 80s (2008)
- North Wind Blows (2008)
- Ai Shang Dan Yan Pi Nan Sheng (2007)
- Secret History of Kang Xi (2006)
- Yi Peng You De Ming Yi (2006)
- Lang Tao Sha (2006)
- The Vinegar Tribe (2005)
- Qing Tian Ya Men (2004)
- Dian Ran Wo Sheng Ming De Shi Ni (2003)
- Tian Xia Di Yi Chou (2002)
- Fo Tiao Qiang (2001)
- Sky Lovers (2001)
- Return of Justice Bao (2000)
- 1994 – Singapore International Film Festival Best Actor – “In the Heat of the Sun”
- 1994 – Venice Film Festival Best Actor – “In the Heat of the Sun”
- 1996 – Taiwan’s Golden House Award Best Actor – “In the Heat of the Sun”
- 2003 – Golden Rooster Award Best Actor – “The Law of Romance"
- 2005 – Student Film Festival Award]] Best actor – “Waiting Alone”
- 2005 – China Film Society of Performing Art Award
- 2006 – Beijing Student Film Festival Award Most Favorite Actor Award – “Shanghai Rumba”
- 2006 - BQ Celebrity Score Awards Best Quality Idol
- 2007 - China Fashion Awards Best Actor
- 2007 - BQ Celebrity Score Awards Best Drama Artist
- 2010 - Hua Ding Awards Favorite Movie Star
- "夏雨 Yu Xia". movie.douban.com (in Chinese). douban.com. Retrieved October 26, 2014.
- Yu, Xia. "A Chinese classic endures". Liu Wei.
- Xia, Yu. "Xia Yu（夏雨）". Retrieved 2006-09-28.
- Wu Qiong (2010-04-06). "It's a Baby Daughter". China Radio International. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Xia, Yu. "Xia Yu".
- "Xia Yu". imdb.com. Retrieved March 4, 2010.
- "Xia Yu". chinesemov.com. Retrieved March 4, 2010.