|Founded||July 25, 1984|
|Frequent-flyer program||Egret Card|
|Parent company||China Southern Airlines (51%)|
|Headquarters||22 Dailiao Road, Xiamen, Fujian, People's Republic of China|
|Key people||Shanglun Che (Director, President)|
XiamenAir (or Xiamen Airlines as it used to be called, but XiamenAir is now its official English title) (Chinese: 厦门航空; pinyin: Xiàmén Hángkōng; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: E-mng Hang-khong) is the first privately owned airline in the People's Republic of China. Established on July 25, 1984 and based in Xiamen,Fujian Province it operates scheduled passenger flights out of Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport and, to a lesser extent, Fuzhou Changle International Airport and Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport. The airline is owned by China Southern Airlines (51%), Xiamen Construction and Development Group (34%), and Jizhong Energy Group (15%). XiamenAir is the only major Chinese carrier which operates an all Boeing fleet.
XiamenAir was honored with the title of "The Best Airline In Mainland China" for 6 consecutive quarters in the "Airlines Service Survey" made by CARNOC.com. The survey consists of comprehensive questionnaires answered by the passengers and analyzed by experts.
By early 2014, Xiamen Airlines has 6 branches in Fuzhou, Nanchang, Hangzhou, Tianjin, Changsha, and Beijing. The airline operates 218 domestic routes along with 26 international routes (Including routes to Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan). It flies over 3600 flights per week. XiamenAir ranks #4 among all Chinese carriers by domestic capacity (only less than the "Big Three" national carriers), and contributes 7.2% of the domestic capacity in China.
Xiamen Airlines concluded the year of 2013 with a passenger number of 18.57 Million, and a profit of 1520 million CNY (about 245 million US dollars or 15.2 million British Pounds). It is the 27th consecutive year of profit for Xiamen Airlines since 1988. With the long consecutive profit record and high profit rate, the airline was regarded as one of the most profitable airlines in the world.
As of January 2013, Xiamen Airlines has codeshare agreements with the following airlines:
- TransAsia Airways
- Uni Air
- Malaysia Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Korean Air
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Hebei Airlines
- Garuda Indonesia
- China Airlines
- China Southern Airlines
- China Eastern Airlines
As of October 2014, the Xiamen Airlines fleet consists of the following aircraft:
|Boeing 737-700||17||—||0||8||120||128||4 with winglets|
|All with winglets. Orders subject to approval.
B5159 and B5302 painted SkyTeam livery
B5688 painted 100th airplane memorial livery
|Boeing 737 MAX 8||—||30||TBA||Orders subject to approval|
|Luxury first class offers in B2862 and B2866|
|Comac ARJ21-700||—||6||TBA||Intention to order|
XiamenAir now has a vast order of 70 Boeing 737-800, 30 Boeing 737MAX, and 6 Boeing 787-8, it plans to launch long haul route with the 787-8 which is supposed to be delivered on July 25, 2014. XiamenAir's first intercontinental route is likely to be Xiamen-Amsterdam, which will be a cooperation with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. KLM now operates a 3 weekly Xiamen-Amsterdam flight, and XiamenAir already has a code-share agreement with it. Analyst believes that XiamenAir is likely to profit from flying long-haul flight and building Xiamen as an international hub, but the long-haul may not be profitable initially.
Incidents and accidents
- On October 2, 1990, Xiamen Airlines Flight 8301 from Xiamen to Guangzhou, a Boeing 737-200 jetliner, was hijacked shortly after takeoff and later crashed into Baiyun International Airport, hitting another two aircraft and killing 128 people.
- Aviation industry in the People's Republic of China
- List of airlines of the People's Republic of China
- List of airports in the People's Republic of China
- List of companies of the People's Republic of China
- Transportation in the People's Republic of China
- "Airline Membership". IATA.
- "Contact Us." Xiamen Airlines. Retrieved on October 29, 2012. "Mailing Address: 22 Dailiao Road, Xiamen 361006, China" - Address in Chinese: "公司地址：中国厦门市埭辽路22号"
- "Xiamen Airlines Fleet". ch-aviation.ch. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- Xiamen to order 30 Boeing 737 MAXs
- Xiamen Airlines flight 8301 at the Aviation Safety Network
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xiamen Airlines.|
- Official SkyTeam website (Chinese)
- Official SkyTeam website (English)
- Official Xiamen Airlines website (Chinese)
- Official Xiamen Airlines website (English)
- Official Xiamen Airlines Singapore website (Chinese)
- Official Xiamen Airlines Singapore website (English)