|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
Xidan Beijing Books Building
Location of Xicheng District in Beijing
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Township-level divisions||15 subdistricts|
|• Total||46.5 km2 (18.0 sq mi)|
|• Density||27,000/km2 (69,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
|Postal code||100032, 100054|
Xicheng District (simplified Chinese: 西城区; traditional Chinese: 西城區; pinyin: Xīchéng Qū, lit. "West City District") is a district of Beijing. Xicheng District spans 32 square kilometres (12 sq mi), making it the largest portion of the old city (inside the 2nd Ring Road), and has 706,691 inhabitants (2000 Census). Its postal code is 100032. Xicheng is subdivided into 15 subdistricts of the city proper of Beijing. The former Xuanwu District was merged into Xicheng on July 2010.
The Xidan commercial district, Finance Street (Jinrongjie), Beihai Park, Jingshan Park, Shichahai and Zhongnanhai are within its jurisdiction. The popular Houhai bar area is also in Xicheng Precinct. Before the communist takeover, most royalties and aristocrats resided in the precinct. The oldest Catholic church in Beijing, the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is located in Xicheng.
Important areas in Xicheng District
- Imperial City
- Beihai Park
- Jingshan Park
- Drum Tower and Bell Tower
- Prince Gong's Residence (Gongwang Fu)
- Liulichang(an ancient antiques market since Qing Dynasty)
- Beijing Zoo
- Fayuan Temple
- Huguang Guild Hall
- Miaoying Temple
- Niujie Mosque
The High School Affiliated to Beijing Normal University is in Xicheng; previously was located in Xuanwu District before Xicheng absorbed Xuanwu.
One school in Niujie, the Beijing Xuanwu Huimin Elementary School (S: 北京市宣武回民小学, P: Běijīng Shì Xuānwǔ Huímín Xiǎoxué), serves the Hui people living in the area. It was formerly in Xuanwu District.
The Beijing Municipal Commission of Education (simplified Chinese: 北京市教育委员会; traditional Chinese: 北京市教育委員會; pinyin: Běijīng Shì Jiàoyùwěiyuánhuì), the local education authority, was previously headquartered in Xicheng District.
- "2011年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：西城区" (in Simplified Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "Contact Us." COSCO. Retrieved on May 3, 2010.
- "Donation." COSCO. May 21, 2008. Retrieved on May 3, 2010.
- "Contact Us." Xinhua. Retrieved on August 17, 2011. "Head Office : 20F, Dacheng Plaza, 127 Xuanwumen St. (W), Beijing" - Address in Chinese: "北京宣武门西大街127号 大成大厦" (Map)
- "2010 CSR Report of Bank of China." Bank of China. 61. Retrieved on September 12, 2011. "Department: Executive Office, Bank of China Address: 1 Fuxingmennei Street, Xicheng District, Beijing"
- "Corporate Profile." China Construction Bank. Retrieved on February 27, 2014. "Address of headquarters:No.25, Finance Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, China, Postcode 100033" - Address in Chinese: "总行地址：中国北京西城区金融大街25号邮编：100033"
- "首页." State Grid Corporation of China. Retrieved on July 8, 2010. "地址 北京市西城区西长安街86号 邮编 100031."
- "Contact Us." The High School Affiliated to Beijing Normal University. Retrieved on October 12, 2012. "Correspondence Address: 100052, No.18 Nan Xin Hua Street , He Ping Men , Xuan Wu District, Beijing, PRC China."
- Home page (Archive). Beijing Xuanwu Huimin Elementary School. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "学校地址：北京市西城区牛街西里一区5号(北京市宣武回民小学)"
- "Home" (English) (Archive). Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "Beijing Municipal Education Commission Add: 109 West Qianmen Street, Beijing, China 100031"
- Home page (Archive). Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. Retrieved on January 10, 2014. "北京市教育委员会地址：西城区前门西大街109号"
- Official website of Xicheng District Government (Chinese)
- Photo Gallery of Houhai area Includes 20 high quality photographs
- Photo Gallery of Qianhai area Includes 20 high quality photographs