Xizhi District Office
Location of Xizhi in New Taipei
|special municipality||New Taipei City|
|• Total||71.2354 km2 (27.5041 sq mi)|
|Population (January 2014)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC+8)|
|Literal meaning||the end of tides|
Geography and Location
Xizhi is located in the Keelung River valley between Taipei and Keelung, which is an important transportation corridor. The old Jukando Highway and Jukan Railway Line passed during the Japanese occupation. Currently both north-south freeways (National Highway 1 and National Highway 3) as well as the Western Line railroad pass through Xizhi.
Origins of its Name
In the past, the Xizhi area was the Kypanas locality (峰仔峙社) of the Ketagalan Taiwanese aborigines. The old name in Chinese (Chinese: 水返腳; pinyin: Shǔifǎnjiǎo; literally: "Water returning foot") refers to the fact that the tide from the Keelung River stops at Xizhi and goes back to the sea. During the Japanese rule, the place name was changed to 汐止 (shiodome (しおどめ?), literally "end of tides"), which is the source of the current name.
Many of Taiwan's electronics companies are headquartered in Xizhi, such as:
- Acer Group, an international computer company
- Coiler Corporation, a telecommunications company
- Lanner Electronics Inc., a company making computer parts, network appliance platforms, and motherboards
- DFI (Diamond Flower Inc.), a company making computer motherboards
- "Demographics Xizhi District Calendar".
- "New Taipei City seeks Minsheng-Xizhi MRT". The China Post. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Legal Notices." Acer Group. Retrieved on March 15, 2010. "8F, No. 88, Section 1, Hsin Tai Wu Road., Hsichih 221, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan."
- "Social Welfare." Acer Group. Retrieved on March 15, 2010. "Acer’s headquarter at Hsichih".
- "Taiwan Headquarters". Coiler Corporation. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Offices". Lanner Electronics, Inc. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Worldwide Offices". DFI. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Facilities | Garmin | United States". Gamin Ltd. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "matsusei.com.tw." (WHOIS) "Domain Name: matsusei.com.tw Registrant: 松青商業股份有限公司 Sung Ching Supermarket Commercial Co.,Ltd 23F., No.100, Sec. 1, Xintai 5th Rd., Xizhi Dist., New Taipei City 221 Taiwan 台北縣汐止市新台五路一段100號23樓"
- "Opportunities for Chilean Food Exports in Taiwan." Chilean Trade Office. November 2009. p. 199. Retrieved on October 25, 2012. "Company Name 松青超市 Matsusei Supermarket (under Wei Chuan Foods)" "Contact Information Add: 23F., No.100, Sec. 1, Xintai 5th Rd., Xizhi City, Taipei County Website: www.sungching.com.tw"