||This article is incomplete. (December 2013)|
|Software development process|
Agile testing is a software testing practice that follows the principles of agile software development. Agile testing involves all members of a cross-functional agile team, with special expertise contributed by testers, to ensure delivering the business value desired by the customer at frequent intervals, working at a sustainable pace. Specification by example is used to capture examples of desired and undesired behavior and guide coding.
Agile development recognizes that testing is not a separate phase, but an integral part of software development, along with coding. Agile teams use a "whole-team" approach to "baking quality in" to the software product. Testers on agile teams lend their expertise in eliciting examples of desired behavior from customers, collaborating with the development team to turn those into executable specifications that guide coding. Testing and coding are done incrementally and iteratively, building up each feature until it provides enough value to release to production. Agile testing covers all types of testing. The Agile Testing Quadrants provide a helpful taxonomy to help teams identify and plan the testing needed.
- Lisa Crispin, Janet Gregory (2009). Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-321-53446-8.
- Adzic, Gojko (2011). Specification by Example: How Successful Teams Deliver the Right Software. Manning. ISBN 978-1-61729-008-4.
- Ambler, Scott (2010). "Agile Testing and Quality Strategies: Discipline over Rhetoric". Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- Pettichord, Bret (2002-11-11). "Agile Testing What is it? Can it work?" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- Hendrickson, Elisabeth (2008-08-11). "Agile Testing, Nine Principles and Six Concrete Practices for Testing on Agile Teams" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- Huston, Tom (2013-11-15). "What Is Agile Testing?". Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- Crispin, Lisa (2003-03-21). "XP Testing Without XP: Taking Advantage of Agile Testing Practices". Retrieved 2009-06-11.